× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Support for R6080

scorpio012
Tutor

Support for R6080

Hello, I had posted a question earlier about a problem I was having with the new Wi-Fi router I bought from Netgear. My old router was a Belkin router and when I disconnected that to hook up the Netgear, the Netgear wouldn't let me connect to the internet? When I plugged in the old Belkin the same thing, no internet? I'm not sure if anyone has seen my earlier post or not, but I'd like to ask how can I contact Netgear support? Thank you

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
scorpio012
Tutor

Re: Support for R6080

Thanks for your reply! I do have cable internet, but I'm embarrassed to say that I am not computer savvy and not sure how to do exactly what you've said? You also had said that I would need to do the set up on the Netgear router and again I'm not sure about what to do? I'm sure you've never come across someone that needs the basics explained to him like I'm asking you to do for me, but I'm hoping to learn more from people like yourself. Thanks again

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13

All Replies
wcalifas
Prodigy

What kind of internet service do you have cable or dsl? If you have cable internet you have to reboot the modem and after it connects to the internet then you connect your router to it. Of course you still need to run the setup on your router so it can detect your internet coming from the modem.

Message 2 of 13
scorpio012
Tutor

Thanks for your reply! I do have cable internet, but I'm embarrassed to say that I am not computer savvy and not sure how to do exactly what you've said? You also had said that I would need to do the set up on the Netgear router and again I'm not sure about what to do? I'm sure you've never come across someone that needs the basics explained to him like I'm asking you to do for me, but I'm hoping to learn more from people like yourself. Thanks again

Message 3 of 13
wcalifas
Prodigy

Well I don't know if your router came with a setup disc that you can use, but I'm pretty sure it came with instructions on how to set it up. Let us know since there's a few steps to do the setup.

Message 4 of 13
scorpio012
Tutor

Thanks again for your reply. No there wasn't any set up disk all that came with the router was a ethernet cable and a one page pamphlet and on the front cover was a link for a Nighthawk App for a smart phone which Idon't have(still stuck with an antique flip phone) On the back cover was a link for  www.netgear .com/support, but that was it?

Message 5 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] on the front cover was a link for a Nighthawk App for a smart
> phone which Idon't have [...]

Not necessary.  You need some kind of computer/device with a web
browser.  Anything else is optional.

> [...] On the back cover was a link for  www.netgear .com/support, but
> that was it?

Did you go there?  Try it.  Put in your model number, and look for
Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read?  You may find other
documents there, too.

Message 6 of 13

There is a manual for the R6080 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R6080 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

The Quick start guide is a good place to start. In particular, it tells you the order that you should follow. That is important.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Message 7 of 13
scorpio012
Tutor

Thank you for all your information that you sent. It all seems to be working now!!

Message 8 of 13
scorpio012
Tutor

Once again thank you for taking the time to help me with all of this. Everything seems to be working fine now(knock on wood). The only problem I had which I'm not sure is resolved yet is when they asked for two security questions and their answers. I had answered them but later they asked for them again, but when I typed in the answers it said that they didn't match the ones I entered before. I rechecked the spelling of the answers and they were fine. So I don't know if that will make a whole lot of difference would it? I don't even know how to get back to that page now anyway? I thought I had bookmarked it but it doesn't come up in my bookmarks? Any suggestions? Thanks again!!!

Message 9 of 13

I turn off "password recovery".

There may be ways to access my router from the middle of Russia, but I can't see how that would work, or what good it would do for anyone.

Message 10 of 13
scorpio012
Tutor

Once again, thanks Mr.Kenward. I understand what you're saying:)!!

Message 11 of 13
scorpio012
Tutor

Hello Again, I just found out another problem which is the laptop that I have won't connect to the internet? When I scroll down the list of available networks and come to mine, it asks me for the 'network security' code and I have no idea what that is or where I can find it? Any ideas on how to help me(again)? Thanks

Message 12 of 13

@scorpio012 wrote:

When I scroll down the list of available networks and come to mine, it asks me for the 'network security' code and I have no idea what that is or where I can find it?

What asks for that code? Something that connects you to the wifi?

If you have not tried it, the password for your router's SSID is on the label on the back of the router.

See the section Join the WiFi Network of the Router in the manual.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7