Highlighted
Aspirant

Suppose to get Speeds of 105Mbs only get mid 50s! Help!!!

I signed up for services in October with Comcast. I was told I could get 105mbs speeds. Back then I used a rented modem that wasn't on par with speeds of 105 but was getting triple my old speeds and was happy until I could get a new modem.

I purchased a new modem a Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 Modem and my router is a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400. I have updated all firmware. I get speeds of roughly 55-59mbs whether I am connected to WIFI/Wired to Router/Wired to Modem only. I have tried both the 2.4ghz network and the 5Ghz network. I also only use Cat5e cable.

I have called customer support and given them my HFC Mac address. Still only get speeds of 55-59ish. I have chatted with Comcast agents who also tried to help me with no results.

Normally, I would think my router may need to be replaced but that doesn't seem right. Its only about 1 maybe 2 years old. Plus, when I direct connect to the modem I am still only getting 55-59 speeds. So my router is working right because its putting out the speeds my modem is sending.

I read that disabling the WMM in QoS can help but still the same results. My IPv6 is disabled but I am not sure if that will help. Nor am I sure what the best option is to enable it is.

A Tech is suppose to come out tomorrow to verify my speeds outside. I know this shouldn't be that hard but its bugging me.

Ive seen posts on here with almost the same problems and they have been resolved. PLEASE SOMEONE MAKE MY DAY! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!!

Tom
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Suppose to get Speeds of 105Mbs only get mid 50s! Help!!!

You need a gigabit router, not a 10/100 wan/lan router. Only going to get about 60% of your throughput. Upgrade your router.
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Suppose to get Speeds of 105Mbs only get mid 50s! Help!!!

Oh, and make sure your modem is provisioned for your correct speed, then test.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements