× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TELL US if our wireless routers are vulnerable!

skierpage
Tutor

TELL US if our wireless routers are vulnerable!

Reports of the latest ZuoRAT wireless router malware reminded me to check my age-old WGR614v10 that seemingly works perfectly. Its web admin page shows nothing, just the usual "No new firmware version available." But I did a web search and found it has multiple vulnerabilities.

Hey Netgear, you are doing your customers a disservice and losing out on revenue by not telling us to buy new hardware!! Both the router's web admin page and your support page for the wireless router should have a red banner with the marquee blink tag announcing

This unsupported wi-fi router is outside its security support period, and is vulnerable to Security Advisory for Authentication Bypass on Multiple Products, PSV-2021-0353 and Security Advisory for Multiple Vulnerabilities on Some Routers, Mobile Routers, Modems, Gateways, an....

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: TELL US if our wireless routers are vulnerable!

You could make a suggestion for those devices who aren't getting security updates to have a banner like that. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You could make a suggestion for those devices who aren't getting security updates to have a banner like that. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Message 2 of 8
skierpage
Tutor

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of this and is investigating. 

Message 4 of 8

@skierpage wrote:

Reports of the latest ZuoRAT wireless router malware reminded me to check my age-old WGR614v10 that seemingly works perfectly. Its web admin page shows nothing, just the usual "No new firmware version available." But I did a web search and found it has multiple vulnerabilities.

The WGR614v10 came out on 2009, based on a router first launched in 2003. It is a testament to the hardware's reliability that it still works.

Netgear provides regular security updates for recent products. However, few brands support inexpensive devices that old. The technology has moved on in ways that can make it impossible to fix. They work to old standards and may contain electronic chips not are beyond the reach of any firmware updates.

Message 5 of 8
skierpage
Tutor

@michaelkenward , I know all that! I want and expect NETGEAR to tell me that this old unsupported hardware is not protected against known vulnerabilities. Unitl it can do that, then it should put your mealy-mouthed generic disclaimer in the web admin, the MyNETGEAR list, and the product page for every old product.

Message 6 of 8

@skierpage wrote:

I know all that!

Lucky you.

Message 7 of 8
paulja
Tutor

Always great to hear about a vulnerability ( Zuorat ) via the ordinary news... come on Netgear, let us know who is affected and how to fix check\ fix.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7