Re: Tempreture Issue Not Impressed!

borse2010
Aspirant

Tempreture Issue Not Impressed!

Guys have had the router running no problems on both frequencys no problems upgraded from a WAG320N.

But just went to touch my box its not standing up, in a well ventilated area and you can cook an egg on it, its very hot. Normal or are netgear working on this, its a router not a pc!
Message 1 of 13
dataghost
Aspirant

Mine stands vertically, and its basically cold, only a very slight hint of warmth.

Compared to my old DGN2000 which would get very hot when stood vertically.

Id say there may be something wrong with yours.
Message 2 of 13
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: Temperature Issue Not Impressed!

Is there any reason that your router is not standing on it's end?

I too have had a couple of DGN2000s that overheated. Whilst this router doesn't run ice cold, the vents are designed to draw cool air from below.

The Sky routers have similar issues and benefit from being placed in their stand.
Message 3 of 13
borse2010
Aspirant

Yes because i dont it too.

I want it flat thinking about wall mounting it.
Message 4 of 13
borse2010
Aspirant

None of the vent are blocked just wanted to know what other people had?
Message 5 of 13
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: Temperature Issue Not Impressed!

borse2010 wrote:
I want it flat thinking about wall mounting it.

There are wall-mounting holes underneath. Provided that you can safely remove the stand with a Tork Screwdriver, then you should have no problems mounting the router on the wall.

In fairness though, with it stood on it's side, the bottom does serve as a way of dispersing the heat. With this in mind, do ensure that there isn't too much heat coming from the wall (i.e. near a radiator) as this is a new router and it isn't known how well it performs in the longer term yet.
Message 6 of 13
borse2010
Aspirant

Safely remove it with a torx, it just pulls off and have had it you dont need any torx drive for it. It looked like it was glued on to me.

Im thinking about returning it back to Scan and getting a replacement, as im not impressed.

People and review have reported the unit to get hot. At the moment Netgear have let me down yet again.

It was wither to wait for Linksys x2000 or this one. Looks like ill be going back to Linksys.

I only notice the temperature when i walked over to it whilst im download torrents. Im using both frequencys. It just feels like there isnt any heatsink inside.

Seems like the dual core processor is working too hard.
Message 7 of 13
borse2010
Aspirant

I dont think there will be a long term for my router more like a short term, going back to scan tomorrow will return it then.
Message 8 of 13
dataghost
Aspirant

well if yours is getting hot and mine is pretty much cold that tells me you have a defective router.

Rather than rant about going back to Linksys, why dont you just get a direct replacement for one that is not defective? SIMPLES?
Message 9 of 13
Joe_
Apprentice

A simple question: "Is there any reason that your router is not standing on it's end?"

This seemed to have ticked this poster off. Doesn't seemed to be asked in an offensive way either.

I'd say more than his router is running hot - if you get my meaning.

People like this are not worth your time. Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

A simple question: "Is there any reason that your router is not standing on it's end?"

use changes orientation because standing position as default design spread the signal in horizontal at best . That is how omini directional works. Therefore changing the router on the side will increase on vertical spread
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 13
Joe_
Apprentice

Yes. Thanks June. I read about that very early on. I was just making the point about how more than this poster's router seems to be getting hot. Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Placing on side cause heat issues since the ventilation does not work well as router standing up where heat rises and ventilation hole at top will cool the router better
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation