Highlighted
Aspirant

Terrible Wireless Speeds - Great speed direct connected to Cable Modem.

I have Time Warner Road Runner Extreme 35MBPS Internet and as of this morning I am and have been for a few weeks now getting terrible speeds. I do a speed test via the router not direct connected and i am getting about 16 MBPS down and 5 MBPS up. Direct connected to the cable modem I am getting 35 down xx up. I have rebooted both boxes several times. I have changed the wireless channels for my 2.4 and 5 ghz bands to ones that are not being used by others around me in my neighborhood using WirelessNetView . My settings on the router call for 300 mbps but i am getting only 145 and 150 respectively. I just was getting horrible chopping voip phone calls just in the last couple of hours. Last night my xbox one was buffering horribly when it hasnt before. I checked with Time warner and my signal was very clean outside and coming into my cable modem, the bottleneck seems to be the router. Am I due for a new unit??

Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Terrible Wireless Speeds - Great speed direct connected to Cable Modem.

Mind you when I try to make Voip calls with MS Lync on my work laptop its disconnecting altogether. If i try to use my Magic jack its all choppy which it wasnt before. And my Ooma Telo is disconnecting from wireless frequently.
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Master

Hi,
Did you play with WMM, WiFi mode setting, QoS to see they make any difference?
Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would try a factory reset if still having problems replace it.
Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Guide

Change the wan mac address on the router and restart it.
This will give you a fresh clean connection. Run the test straight away.

A lot of people may have things like p2p, virus, malware, or just some other type of non-harmful server/app running that will help eat away some of your throughput. If this is the case then what I suggest should show that (but it'll return too)..

What is the link status of the "WAN"/"Internet" port.. It should be 100 full, or 1000 full. The link rate of the wifi is generally not a big issue. In the 2.4 band hitting 300 is not that realistic anyhow.

I have seen people complain about these routers going, port death and the ilk.. mine (v1) is still okay but it is no longer in my home (I visit it a few times a week)...

Your IP can make a big difference if your constantly being scanned, so cloning the pc your connecting directly to the modem is a must when you make your comparisons.

Also, make sure remote admin feature is off (If you ever turned it on).. Several exploits exist and NG does not seem to be willing to fix the issue (Unless it takes them over 1 year to make some highly simple changes)..
Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks All.

So I tried several things with no change. Changed Router MAC address from default to a recommended address.

No Change In Speed 16 MBPS

Restarted and rebooteed

No Change in Speed 14 MBPS

I tried playing with WMM, WiFi mode setting, QoS turning some on and off and

No change in Speed 15 MBPS

Remote Admin is off always has been actually. Silly if I ask but how do I check the status of the WAN port. Under what category? WAN I assume?
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok so out of frustration I went out and bought ANOTHER netgear Router the R6300 A/C/B/B/N model configured it and I am getting now around 19 mbs...still paltry when I am paying for 35.

Something is NOT right. Any thoughts? I have a freshly configured router now mind you...
Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

the wired speed should match the modem speed, tested via a direct wired connection.

If yes then focus on WIFI, should be using WPA2 for security. The speeds your paying for are not all that fast so 10 100 should still work fine. It seems like your stuck in G mode so verify clients are in fact N ready.
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Searay thanks. So what I did do was test my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which is connected to my 5Ghz network and I am getting close to advertised speeds, I have two separate networks One for 2.4 and one for 5. For whatever reason before My r6300 was able to connect to the 5GHZ and find it its now connected to the 2.4. When I run WirelessNetView its an application that scans wireless networks in the area, before with my WNDR 3700v2 it would show the two separately named networks (2.4 and 5) respectively they were xxx32 for 2.4 and xxx32.1 for the 5. I did the same naming nomenclature with the R6300 and its showing that in the admin or Genie but not showing in my Windows 7 Laptop with a built in wireless card and my dell windows 8 laptop which is less than 3 months old.
Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

So some additional notes and follow up:

Windows 8 Laptop hard wired connected to R6300 gets close to 35MBPS

I brought my Windows 8 Laptop to the furthest place in the house from the router and I Was able to access both xxx32 and xxx32.1

When connected to xxx32.1 I am getting maximum speeds, 34 MBPS yes its time warner and that is their "extreme" Lol

When connected to xxx32 i am getting like 20MBPS. Is that a factor of the different bands?

In the office though or man cave/office UPStairs I am getting the lack of xxx32.1 unless I connect to it from another room and then its locked in.
Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Virtuoso

there will be a difference between the two bands as 2.4Ghz is prone to interference that will affect the performance of your wireless network compared to 5Ghz.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements