Aspirant

This is it?! 450 mbps my ...

Gentlemen,

I thought that the time had come to stream wireless my HD movies. I bought the fastes router (WNDR 4500), attached a USB3 drive to it, bought the new WD live tv (wi-fi built in). So far so good, let's watch movies...

But after reading many hours in this forum:
1) I know that the speed of my NTFS USB3 drive is 10 mbps connected to the new netgear router;
2) my iPhone 4 gets 20 mbps in the same room as my router (5m distance, with speed set to the not neigherhood friendly max);
3) my iPad 2 gets 40 mbps @ the wifi 5ghz network;
4) my wd live stutters most movies (even DVD5, even when it gets the movies from my pc network (raid hd's)).

As said, I have read a lot, I installed the latest firmwares/IOs/etc on all my devices So it is not that I came to cry, before trying and learning a lot.

Any help would be great!

When I look at the box of my netgear device I can't believe the difference between what I get and what they promise...
Message 1 of 7
Virtuoso

Re: This is it?! 450 mbps my ...

some to read
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=75015
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
Aspirant

The USB port is 2.0 on this router. Not sure what difference it makes.

Your TV's wireless receiver should be the limiting factor if the router is configured to 450. My little laptop is limited to 54, but it ain't the router's fault.

I suspect the TV is not capable of the speeds you're looking for either. Even with connected to a 1G LAN port my new TV only links at 100M via Cat5e cable. I'm betting wireless is slower.

-- Chuck
Message 3 of 7
Apprentice

You can stream just fine at 54 Mbps connection rate. Assuming you have a high speed connection that can deliver 5-8Mbps that's all High Def needs.
Message 4 of 7
Luminary

mauricetgol wrote:
1) I know that the speed of my NTFS USB3 drive is 10 mbps connected to the new netgear router;

In descending order of best file system performance for attached ReadyShare external hard drive... Ext2/3, FAT32 or NTFS.

mauricetgol wrote:
As said, I have read a lot, I installed the latest firmwares....

I suggest you read the link in my sig if you choose to update the firmware on your router. While written specifically for the WNDR3700, it is a much safer method of updating the router firmware. WNDR4500 firmware can be found HERE.

Good luck.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 5 of 7
Aspirant

mauricetgol wrote:
Gentlemen,

I thought that the time had come to stream wireless my HD movies. I bought the fastes router (WNDR 4500), attached a USB3 drive to it, bought the new WD live tv (wi-fi built in). So far so good, let's watch movies...

But after reading many hours in this forum:
2) my iPhone 4 gets 20 mbps in the same room as my router (5m distance, with speed set to the not neigherhood friendly max);
3) my iPad 2 gets 40 mbps @ the wifi 5ghz network;
4) my wd live stutters most movies (even DVD5, even when it gets the movies from my pc network (raid hd's)).

As said, I have read a lot, I installed the latest firmwares/IOs/etc on all my devices So it is not that I came to cry, before trying and learning a lot.

Any help would be great!

When I look at the box of my netgear device I can't believe the difference between what I get and what they promise...

Make sure there's no obstacles (walls) between your router and the receiver on the WD Live. It works fine for my WNDR3700. I'm able to stream HD with no issues at cca 20 meters.
Message 6 of 7
Mentor

I'm not certain what the purpose of this thread is - you want help in resolving a streaming problem or you want to gripe about the fact that your 450mbps router doesn't deliver anywhere near 450mbps - which is it?

Let's deal with the non-performance of your 450mbps router first - that's easier - take it up with the IEEE and the industry marketing geniuses - no wireless network has ever delivered the "promised" performance - an 11mbps 802.11b could deliver around 7mbps, 54 mbps 802.11g maxed out at around 25mbps, 300 mbps 802.11n will deliver maybe 80mbps under the best of conditions - and as for the new 450 & 600 mbps routers, well let's just say I stopped trying to understand the marketing hype.

You need to just recognize the fact that (a) it's not acheivable, (b) the advertising people are saying "up to" and playing with the numbers to one up the competition, and (c) it's not necessary to achieve what you want.

How fast is your internet connection? If you're like most of us, slower than your wireless, and that typically is where the bottleneck is.

I just gave my 300mbps 802.11n wireless router to my daughter, I prefer to use an older 54 mbps 802.11g wireless access point - that access point extends my wired network, wirelessly sharing my 1mbps ADSL internet connection amongst a half dozen or so wirelessly equipped laptops, smart phones & tablets.

Among the mix is a Wii console (wireless) and a WD TV Live+ (wired) - I can stream Netflix flawlessly to either one of them (one at a time only), over that 1mbps connection - proving the point that you don't need more than 1mbps to stream video.

Now - shall we look to see where you need to focus?

Your RAID hard drives perhaps? If it's not RAID1 get rid of them - RAID5 subsystems are bottlenecks.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements