× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Thoughts on Netgear AX1800 WiFi Router (R6700AX) for main router and AP?

MaxwellMiky
Follower

Thoughts on Netgear AX1800 WiFi Router (R6700AX) for main router and AP?

I have 100(down)/10(up) spectrum service with a spectrum rental router set up in basement. I work from home and have a gaming PC in the basement so having the router in the basement has worked well Except for the far end of my house, the WiFi gets a little weaker/slower. This is where my main TV/Xbox is.

I’d like to replace the spectrum rental router and run a Cat6 Ethernet cable to the far side of my house and set up either a router in AP mode or a dedicated AP and switch

I’d like to hardwire my TV and Xbox so I’m thinking just getting a router with 4 Ethernet ports in putting that router in AP mode to improve WiFi.

I’m thinking the I could get two $90 AX1800 WiFi Router (R6700AX) and one would be my main router and the other would be act as an AP.

I would appreciate any thoughts on:

1. Is there any reason to get an AP and switch versus just getting a router in AP mode?

2. anyone have experience with the Netgear AX1800 WiFi Router (R6700AX) or have other recommendations for a similar cost ($180 for both)

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Thoughts on Netgear AX1800 WiFi Router (R6700AX) for main router and AP?

I'd spend a little extra and go with something like the MK62 and cheap gigabit switch. 

Reason is that it gives you seamless roaming, supports wired and wireless backhaul, and is expandable if you want more satellites/coverage. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7