× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Three routers behind one modem - How to?

DocMagnus
Aspirant

Three routers behind one modem - How to?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a netgear solution if one exists to my problem.

I have been given a /252 in addition to my static IP on an NBN service. So I have 3 static IP addresses assisgned to my connection.

I have a telco supplied modem/router which can only manage one IP address (the main one for the service).

I have three proposed solutions for this and am looking for netgear product to facilitate it:

1) Neat and simple: one box (which can handle the nbn service (so modem) and can allow rules for 3 static IP addresses) which simply directs traffic to three different nodes on my network. Image they are web servers - so all will use the same port - so I need to be able to route traffic based on the IP the traffic comes in on.

2) Keep the existing telso modem in bridge mode (ie: acting only as a modem) and have three routers plugged into the back of it - each with a different static IP assisgned, with different rules. example: ip1 routes to internal server 192.1.1.1 port 123, ip2 routes to 192.1.1.2 (or 192.1.2.1) on port 123, ip3 routes to 192.1.1.3 (or 192.1.3.1) on port 123.

My telco nbn box has 4 lan ports on it, so if I don't replace it, can it simply get netgear product to plug into the back of 3 ports, but set a different static IP on each of the units? I have no need for dhcp, so happy to have that turned of. Need only firewall and routing rules that can be applied based on the IP address the traffic was received on.

Ideally I'd like one box in place of the telco modem/router that can manage all three IP addresses and route them on the network, but if I have to use three devices behind the telco modem/router, that's okay also. 

Is this possible, and if so, what netgear product could be untilised?

Many thanks 

My plan is to use the telco supplied box in bridge mode - so only a modem

Message 1 of 3
wcalifas
Prodigy

Re: Three routers behind one modem - How to?

Why don't you just run one router with the modem as the main router and the other 2 routers as access points coming off the main router once you turn off their dhcp?
Message 2 of 3
DocMagnus
Aspirant

Re: Three routers behind one modem - How to?

Because in doing so they will have IP addresses assigned by the first router - which is not what I want. I don't want to daisy chain routers as I need each router to have an external address - using what my provider has given me. I either need a single netgear box to be: 

NBN modem and router for all 3 IP addresses

OR

Use the existing NBN modem provided in bridge mode and then use either 1or 3 netgear routers behind it - but not daisy chained, as I need each to have a public IP address.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7