Re: Time and date read from?

ljfarraher
Aspirant

Time and date read from?

Does anyone know where the router gets it's time and date read from?
System date is correct BUT router reads January 1 2003
I thnink it might be off a little..
Message 1 of 18
joeh1974
Novice

Ok...very strange...I came here to report the exact same problem. Is this an issue on Netgear's end?

Spent all day yesterday trying to diagnose why the time now reads Jan 1, 2003. Reset the thing numerous times, and even upgraded the firmware to 1.0.0.88 with no change...:confused:
Message 2 of 18
joeh1974
Novice

Very strange...I came here as I have the exact same problem. Tried to diagnose this all day yesterday. Reset the router numerous times, and even upgraded to the latest firmware. No change. Is this an issue on Netgear's end?
Message 3 of 18
yz450
Novice

Detecting a trend here. I too looked at the forums for this same exact problem. Date is January 2003 and does not update. Reading the documentation it says the router get its time using NTP over the internet. It's supposed to happen automatically, there is no way to control it.

I first noticed this last night, 2/13/12, when I could not get on the internet. I use the service blocking schedule in the router to turn off the internet during certain hours of the day, and last night I could not get on the internet when I should have been able to. This functionality always worked properly until last night. I then checked the current time in the router and it said January 2003 with the wrong time.

I have the lastest firmware. Something has changed with the routers ability to get NTP time from the internet. Doesn't look like our routers have a problem, its a system wide problem.
Message 4 of 18
tpcguy
Guide

Hi,

You're not the only one whose experiencing this problem. Have you tried reverting back to the old firmware? Kindly post your feed back asap

Thanks,
Message 5 of 18
joeh1974
Novice

tpcguy wrote:
Hi,

You're not the only one whose experiencing this problem. Have you tried reverting back to the old firmware? Kindly post your feed back asap

Thanks,

I haven't reverted back, but I can confirm that it was reading Jan 1, 2003 when I was on 1.0.0.60. It was this issue which prompted me to update to 1.0.0.88, but the problem still persists.
Message 6 of 18
o_l_a_v
Aspirant

Damn, same problem for me! WTF Netgear?
Message 7 of 18
ljfarraher
Aspirant

I had gone back 2 updates..and still had the problem..
I also JUST sent back a new WNDR4500 I was going to upgrade to just for the reports of better throughputs..but that ALSO read a date of January 1 2003 with it's latest release, back 1 from that and 2 beta releases just to try..
ALL said January 1 2003 and screwed up the scheduling withing BOTH routers.
So the 4500 has the SAME issue..just to warn you..I am staying with this router for now UNTIL I know they have fixed this issue with these routers.
I have read that this might be an ongoing issue for some time in the other forums..So just to prepare you of it..
I have been trying for a few days to figure it out as I work with computers and networks..so trying to diagnose as well as getting with Netgear on it.:confused:
Message 8 of 18
ljfarraher
Aspirant

Oh yeah..almost forgot..I do try to use the signal schedule to turn off the wireless at night to keep the kids off when bedtime..That option is grayed out and I think has to do with the time / date issue.
Was on the phone with tech yesterday for about 1 1/2 and he could not get it figured out also..had to go or would have waited for level 2 tech..
Message 9 of 18
sean_e
Novice

I'm on 1.0.0.82 but do not have this problem. On the Logs page, current time is correct.
Message 10 of 18
johnpmid
Aspirant

Add me to the list of people having date and time problems. I started a separate thread yesterday here. It must be the NTP servers. I found on this forum that the NTP servers hard coded are time-a.netgear.com and time-b.netgear.com. Neither server responds when I ping them.
Message 11 of 18
johnpmid
Aspirant

sean_e wrote:
I'm on 1.0.0.82 but do not have this problem. On the Logs page, current time is correct.
I wouldn't recommend this since it is working for you, but I suspect if you upgraded the firmware or did a hard reset you would have the wrong date and time. My router had the correct date and time until I upgraded the firmware.
Message 12 of 18
ljfarraher
Aspirant

sean_e wrote:

Go to the advance then security then schedule page..check out the date / time there..see if it matches.
Message 13 of 18
sean_e
Novice

82 doesn't have Advanced | Security | Schedule, but does have Content Filtering | Schedule and the date on that page matches the date on Content Filtering | Logs. Date is also correct on Advanced | Traffic Meter.
Message 14 of 18
sean_e
Novice

I had to power cycle just now - date is hosed.
Message 15 of 18
johnpmid
Aspirant

I sent a message to Netgear Support and received this reply:

Thank you for getting back to us. I was able to consult our 2nd level of support regarding your issue and found out that the ntp server of our home routers are down at the moment. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenienced you have experienced.
Message 16 of 18
ljfarraher
Aspirant

Hey everyone..Time / Date server back running..
Thanks NETGEAR for getting to us and correcting the problem.
Schedule away all!! 🙂
Message 17 of 18
sean_e
Novice

thanks for the notification!
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation