Total Newbie

lasaersr
Aspirant

Total Newbie

I have WNDR4000. One main computer on the first floor and two kids computers on the second floor. What I would like to accomplish is to only have the internet on, on the kids computer to do windows update from time to time, and also have them connected all the time to my hp wireless printer on the first floor. What is the best way to do this ? Thanks for responding.Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Total Newbie

Setup limited users accounts on each PC without a web broswer on their screen. You being the admin can log on and run updates. Use remote desktop connection to manage updates as long as your OS supports it. Add printer as normal.
Message 2 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

This is wireless router so use wirelessly connecting those PC
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 11
Joe_
Apprentice

lasaersr,

You did not elaborate, but as searay indicated, the foremost control should be setting yourself up as the sole administrator on the kids PCs (and with a good admin password too). The kids can be set up as users (not Admin) with limited privileges.

Either now or in the future you may want the kids to have a certain amount of internet access, and not just for Windows updates. Example, you may want them to be able to do research in order to complete certain homework assignments. Also, you may not want to totally stifle their potential to develop and learn thru the internet.

Your router has certain features that can help you if you take the time to research and learn how to apply and use them effectively. Example, blocking certain websites and scheduling the time when each PC has internet access. As a starting point you could download the router's user manual and read about them. Netgear may have some KB articles, as well as other sites on the internet, may have ideas that could help you in tailoring things to suit your particular situation.

Browsers (eg. Internet Explorer) also have site blocking and other features that may be used. Just ensure tho that you don't give the kids priveleges to download another browser (eg. Mozilla Firefox) that effectively stymy your controls.

One final suggestion, you should set up a secure admin password on your router as well as ensuring it's physically locked away. And I will lock away the modem too. This last to prevent anyone from accessing its configurations or resetting it to default factory settings.

As for the HP printer, once all the PCs are on the same network with the printer, they shouldn't have a problem accessing it. You may want to enable some sort of protection for the files on your PC, if you deem this a possible issue.

These are just a few suggestions, but I hope it's enough to give you somewhere to start. Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Pretty simple. 3400 has LPC support

http://countries.netgear.com/lpc

Intall it configure for Internet traffic access
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 11
lasaersr
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies. I had thought it would be easier to use the router to limit internet connectivity, but I am going to do a little research into the user accounts. That might be the better way to go.
Message 6 of 11
bobj
Aspirant

You may also want to implement parental control software as you ease your kids into using the internet.

Here is a good article on what is available:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346997,00.asp
Message 7 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

lasaersr wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I had thought it would be easier to use the router to limit internet connectivity, but I am going to do a little research into the user accounts. That might be the better way to go.

Did you look netgear's free parental contak supported on this router ?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 11
bobj
Aspirant

Also you can install OpenDNS on almost any router.

Check out www.opendns.com
Message 9 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

parental control is part of opendDNS
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 11
lasaersr
Aspirant

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I set up limited accounts on all machines using windows settings. Then setup the live parental controls (open dns). It seems to be working very well. Thanks for the advice.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E