× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trek PR2000 DHCP-problems, keeps dropping connections, maybe workaround

ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@wayne01 You're welcome. Kindly reset after loading the firmware and then reconfigure the router afterwards.

Hopefully that will eliminate the problem your facing in terms of download and upload performance.

Message 151 of 186
tjdoherty33
Aspirant

@ElaineM- Where can I get the NDA to sign so I can have a copy of the beta. I still can't understand why there has not been a production releace of the firmware in over 6 months of having this problem. Can you explain?

Message 152 of 186
wayne01
Tutor

@ElaineM

Yep - I have done 2 factory resets since the firmware update to the Beta and a power off / on.

In my followup testing I will be reloading the current production (verson 14) and retest, then

go back to the Beta for testing. I will capture the results I obtain. It could be just bad luck

with Internet contention - however I did a Download test using my home WiFi which the PR2000

has configured for and the download speed was around 25Mps, where as the PR2000 was at times under 1 Mps.

Shouldn't draw much on this however until I do the Version 14 compared to the Beta tests in a more controlled

manner.

Thanks for your help....

Wayne

cc @AlexanderO

Message 153 of 186
tjdoherty33
Aspirant

@ElaiinM - Now your wonderful support team will not give me access to the beta firmware. Here is the resolution from the latest case I opened. You know that this issues has been around since April of 2014? Yes, nearly two years without a resolution. I have never in my 30 years in IT had a major player in the networking field allow one of their devices to have a serious flaw for two years without addressing the issue. I plan on writing an artilcle about this stellar support Netgear provides its customers. TWO YEARS of allowing a defective product stay on the market with a serious flaw in the firmware. And what is worse, Amazon is still selling these devices. Perhaps I need to speak with Amazon and suggest they, along with Walmart, Best Buy, and any other retail outlet, pull this product off of their shelves. Basically, it is fraud to sell a product with claims of functioning when it does not.

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at NETGEAR Email support.

With regard to your query, there is no firmware update yet for this product. The latest firmware version is 1.0.0.14 and it was released last March 3, 2015.

Your PR2000 warranty details are as follows:

•Purchase date: August 14, 2015
•Basic technical support (from purchase date): 90 days
•Hardware warranty (from purchase date): 1 year

Based on the product registration, your device is no longer eligible for free assistance from a support expert. However, I want to make sure you are aware there are other options available for you to utilize such as:

• Self-help web articles http://support.netgear.com/product/
• NETGEAR Forums https://community.netgear.com/

Aside from the above free options, I highly recommend our GearHead Premium Services which will entitle you to phone support for this issue and in addition you also get unlimited support for all your other home networking devices. For more information, you may visit the GearHead website at http://gearhead.netgear.com.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

Minah
Expert ID: 46286
NETGEAR Support Expert

This case has already been closed, please log a new support request if you require further help.

Message 154 of 186
wayne01
Tutor

@ElaineM

I think my initial testing had the PR2000 too close to my home router. It was about 3 ft away. My home

router has a really strong WiFi. When running the PR2000 in a separate room from my router its performance is

good running the Beta. Looks like a good update to me. Sorry for postong the initial concern without further testing.......

Thanks.....

cc @AlexanderO

Message 155 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tjdoherty33 I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you.

It seems that our support team is already in contact with you and had provided the NDA.

Kindly send it back at your earliest convenience for them to provide the beta firmware.

@wayne01 Than kyou for the feedback. Glad to hear that the beta resolved your concern.

Message 156 of 186
n1k1tung
Aspirant

Hi @ElaineM

Can I also have access to the Beta firmware?

My PR2000 is probably the worst Wi-Fi experience I ever had, though it does seem to retransmit the signal via LAN just fine, so I do have some hope for it left.

The SN is 3RA147B6008BC. I've registered it recently

Thanks

Message 157 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @n1ktung Do you experience the same problem? Can you describe the problem you're having?

What are the devices you have on your network?

Message 158 of 186
-kd-
Aspirant

Hello @ElaineM,

sitting in Holidays in a Hotel And have connected my iPhone and iPad and sometimes my Kindle and Garmin Edge. 

Every time I diconnect (disable WiFi) from my iPhone I loose connection at my iPad to and have to wait untile the PR2000 is ready to connect m iPad again.

So please let me have access to the beta wish solve that problem. Possible I find a way in holidays to make an update with Ethernet (hey, why it is not possible to mak update with wifi?).

Thanks,

-kd-

Message 159 of 186
n1k1tung
Aspirant

Sure @ElaineM

My setup is as follows:

PR2000 is connected via LAN to my modem(router). A PC is connected to PR2000 via LAN and works fine (there're no hiccups with Internet caused by PR2000, or they are very rare to bother me).

A couple of devices (1-3) are connected to PR2000 via WiFi. I use the PR2000 to cover a blind spot for the WiFi from my router and also to reduces the simultaneous connections count.

My experience:

At first, I've noticed my devices connected to the PR2000 via WiFi would lose connection to the Internet w/o dropping WiFi connection. I've updated firmware to the latest, the problem still occurs, and also devices would occasionally lose WiFi connection altogether (and switch to the router WiFi with low signal strength). Before upgrading the firmware I could just restart WiFi on a device to force it reconnect to PR2000 and it worked for a while. So currently the situation is even worse and also seems to be happening sooner than before (e.g. 5 min after device was first connected to PR2000 I'm safe to assume that it doesn't have Internet anymore - that's basically unusable). I've tried tweaking WiFi settings, turning DHCP off and setting IPs manually - nothing helps.

Regards

Message 160 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@-kd- It is always recommended to use hardwired connection to avoid firmware corruption in case your wireless gets disconnected.

@n1k1tung Thank you for the description.

I have both forwarded you to support. They'll be in contact with you shortly.

Message 161 of 186
sreeni
Tutor

@elainehi, I think it would be useful to give the Helpdesk a heads about this known issue with the wifi bridge function disconnect problem. So that they can then advise the caller to open a case and get the beta firmware
Message 162 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@sreeni We appreciate your feedback. All our representatives are aware of any issues found and its solution. Rest assured that this will be forwarded to the management to audit the performance our  support team and take necessary action.

Again, thank you and have a great day!

Message 163 of 186
BARNES
Apprentice

Just chiming in to this thread since I just received a brand new Trek for an upcoming trip.

Rebooting right off the box, but I'm certain we can get this little bugger stable with proper feedback and testing. Mind you, I have a limited return window and no proof the engineers are actively working towards a fix, and a little worried that it's been in circulation for some time now...

...and the sega begins lol Can't be any worse than the end-all-be-all Linksys WRT1900 reboot monster...

Message 164 of 186
tjdoherty33
Aspirant

@BARNES- My advice is to return it before it's too late. 

This little bug has been around since April of 2014, and Netgear support has been unable to provide a solution. There are other products out there that actually work. 

Message 165 of 186
BARNES
Apprentice

I'm gonna give the beta firmware a spin and than see what happens. Did you try the Beta Firmware? Haven't received a link yet, but did read and approve the beta agreement... So well see.

Message 166 of 186
Maineiac12
Tutor

@ElaineM I opened a support case asking for the beta firmware because I am having the same dropped connection problems with my new Trek router. I am traveling next week and I could really use this fix before that. Unfortunately, the tech ignored everything I said and just started on their script of standard troubleshooting steps that I've already tried. The case is #26555363. Can you please forward to the appropriate person who can send me the beta firmware? Thank you!

Message 167 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Maineiac12 Let me make a follow-up on your case.

Message 168 of 186
BARNES
Apprentice

It's looking good folks, no disconnects like with .14... I'll test some known exploits, some real world benchmarks alone with some general use I would expect on an average trip this weekend. For me range, security, and stability are key in an off the interstate hotel...

Message 169 of 186
-kd-
Aspirant

@ElaineM 

Looks that the Beta Version (v1.0.0.15_1.0.1) fixed it.

i did the Update with my IPad only with WiFi and crossing fingers, because other way in the hotel was not possible.

So let's look that you make this Version public to get less frustrated user.

Thanks for your Help.

-kd-

Message 170 of 186
BARNES
Apprentice

Same here, no disconnects in Hot Spot mode. Though speeds are not good, however I'm aware it's a beta... Also noticed port 23 is open (Could be in debug mode? - again beta).

I concer, Netgear should link this as an open beta it you need Hot Spot mode and who doesn't when traveling.

Oh my, I would love to see DD-WRT or OpenWRT on this sucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curently have four devices connected for the last 18 hours... One is my wifes, and she loves playing those casio's games on the weekend, and she hasn't said anything about connection issues! <- that there is probably the best test I have for evaluating routers lol

Message 171 of 186
-kd-
Aspirant

BARNES schrieb:

Same here, no disconnects in Hot Spot mode. Though speeds are not good, however I'm aware it's a beta... Also noticed port 23 is open (Could be in debug mode? - again beta).

I concer, Netgear should link this as an open beta it you need Hot Spot mode and who doesn't when traveling.

So Telnet is open. Not the best idea.

Did you check, that Telnet was closed in the regular Firmware?

Message 172 of 186
BARNES
Apprentice

Appears to be open only on the LAN side, not getting a telnet handshake on the WAN side. In fact, it's responding to my scans as a DDos. Tried connecting with Juice on the inside buts it's not responding to my telnet request.

Never tested with .14 which the unit was shipped with...Though I did put the regular .14 in Debug mode, which should reset as soon as the unit was unpowered...Did NOT put the beta in debug mode.

Here's the results on my port scan on the LAN side...

Open Ports: 23, 53, 80, 20005, 33344, 5000, 7777, 8443 (Have remote admin on), 56688...

Nothing returning on the WAN side...

Message 173 of 186
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Port 23 is open on the LAN side designed for our telnetable tool.

Glad to hear that the firmware helped solved your concerns.

Message 174 of 186
BARNES
Apprentice

Indeed it has, and thank you again Elaine for the help...

To those having the reboot issue with the PR2000 Trek, should contact support ASAP and get that Beta .15 firmware! Mine has been running flawless all weekend, aside from a little performance tuning needed, offers a really good compromise with size. Those who expect dual core AC performance don't fully understand what compromise means even though everything in our lives is a compromise. They had a saying when it came to engineering; Speed, Cost, Quality - Pick two...

Peace out... 

Message 175 of 186
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7