× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trouble connecting Netgear router to Verizon wifi modem

Eric_5555
Guide

Trouble connecting Netgear router to Verizon wifi modem

I have the Actiontec wireless router/modem that was supplied to me by Verizon.  There is an input for a coax cable, a WAN, and 4 LAN connections.  The Internet comes in from the wall to the coax port and my computer is on one of the LAN's.  That works fine, but now I am trying to introduce a Netgear WiFi router.  It came with a yellow cable, which I stuck into one of the Actiontec's LAN ports and the WAN port of the Netgear.  Then I hooked my PC up to a LAN port of the Netgear.

I get the routerlogin prompt and am asked to use the auto set up feature.  This spins for several minutes before finally telling me that I do not have an Internet connection.  I have rebooted my Actiontec a dozen times throughout  this process, but the auto configuration never succeeds.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Should I even be able to connect a new Wireless router to the Verizon modem? 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Eric_5555
Guide

I found the solution.  I had to go into the settings for my original modem and disable the wireless option.  Once I did this, the Netgear was able to figure everything out and connect to the Internet.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What is the model number of the Verizon modem/router and do you know if it can be set to Modem only mode (Bridged Mode)?

If the modem is operating as a router on the 192.168.1.x subnet then this can cause the attached Netgear router to change its LAN to another private subnet, typically 10.0.0.x, and this can confuse matters when attempting to set up. Are you able to log into the Netgear router e.g. http://192.168.1.1 or http://10.0.0.1 ?

Message 2 of 4
Eric_5555
Guide

I have the Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D provided by Verizon.  I believe I read somewhere that it cannot act as a bridge.  I can log into the Netgear router and get to the configuration screens, but I do not know what to manually set it to to get an Internet connection, and the auto set up always fails.

Message 3 of 4
Eric_5555
Guide

I found the solution.  I had to go into the settings for my original modem and disable the wireless option.  Once I did this, the Netgear was able to figure everything out and connect to the Internet.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7