Re: Trying to get Netgear R6400 router working with Arris Technicolor T8305C Cable box (Comcast)

msfox99
Guide

Trying to get Netgear R6400 router working with Arris Technicolor T8305C Cable box (Comcast)

Hi,

I am trying to help my uncle set up a new R6400 router.  He has a combined Cable Modem/Voip telephone/router box from Comcast, the Arris Technicolor T8305C.  We want to use the R6400 to get better Wifi coverage in his home.

I turned on Bridge mode in the Arris box.  My understanding is that this should turn DCHP off and allow us to use an external router.  

We connected the R6400 to one of the Ethernet ports on the Arris, and the other end of that cable to the R6400 yellow "WAN" port.  We connected the PC to one of the R6400 standard (non-WAN) Ethernet ports.

I could log in to the router from the PC and got the Genie, which tried to connect to the Internet.  It failed.  We kept disconnecting and reconnecting power to the Arris and R6400, but no go.

We called Netgear tech support.  They had us try to connect to the R6400 via an iPhone (Wifi), as the tech rep said that sometimes the Ethernet to the PC won't configure until it configures vie Wifi (sounds strange).  That didn't work either.  We never got the Genie to connect to the Internet.  We tried following the tech's instruction for setting up manually but that didn't work either.

We reconnected the PC directly back to the Arris box, and we got Internet.

Does anyone have any ideas to try?  

Thanks.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: Trying to get Netgear R6400 router working with Arris Technicolor T8305C Cable box (Comcast)

@msfox99 wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas to try?  

I'd take the Arris out of bridge mode.

If the goal is to get better wifi, then set the R6400 up as an Access Point (there is information in the R6400 manual on how to do this).  The Arris then continues as your main router.

Once you have the R6400 running, you can turn wifi off on the Arris. 

Message 2 of 11
msfox99
Guide

Thank you so much for that info.  That sounds like a good approach.  I think I saw in one of my searches how to turn Wifi off on the Arris.  Hopefully that will work.

Thanks!

Mike

Message 3 of 11
msfox99
Guide

I was able to connect the R6400 to the Comcast router, without the Comcast router being in bridge mode.  I currently have the PC (Ethernet) connect to the R6400 to confirgureits Wifi, which I did successfully.  I kind of want the PC still connected to R6400 instead of moving it back to the Comcast router. so that I can log into the R6400 config page from the PC.  I need to do this because I am at a remote location from this home (which is my uncle's), and I was to see the PC screen via Teamviewer. 

Everything seems to be working, but I haven't change the R6400 setting to "Enable AP mode."  What exactly does that do?  I am guessing that if I enable AP mode, I will have to connect the PC Ethernet back to the Comcast router?  (which I am avoiding to be able to use Teamviewer remotely.)

Thanks.

Message 4 of 11
Cpfms
Apprentice

The switch ports will still function like normal even in AP mode. You just lose access to all of the router features in the Admin console. I'm currently running in that mode because of a problem in the .18 firmware. If you enable Downstream QoS it basically bricks the router function of the R6400 and it will only work in AP mode if you run it through a different router.
Message 5 of 11
Cpfms
Apprentice

Also, have you tried cloning the MAC address of the Ethernet card on your computer to the R6400? If not then that may fix your earlier issue.
Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@msfox99 wrote:

I was able to connect the R6400 to the Comcast router, without the Comcast router being in bridge mode.  I currently have the PC (Ethernet) connect to the R6400 to confirgureits Wifi, which I did successfully.  I kind of want the PC still connected to R6400 instead of moving it back to the Comcast router. so that I can log into the R6400 config page from the PC.  I need to do this because I am at a remote location from this home (which is my uncle's), and I was to see the PC screen via Teamviewer. 

Everything seems to be working, but I haven't change the R6400 setting to "Enable AP mode."  What exactly does that do?  I am guessing that if I enable AP mode, I will have to connect the PC Ethernet back to the Comcast router?  (which I am avoiding to be able to use Teamviewer remotely.)

Thanks.

There are a couple ways you can set this up.  But as far as the cabling goes, the R6400 can stay connected to the Comcast router, and the PC ethernet can stay connected to the R6400 LAN port.

If you want to use the Comcast ethernet ports for other devices (now or in the future), then you want to set up the R6400 in AP mode.  Then the R6400 provides wifi services (and as posted above, the LAN ports function too), but the comcast does all the routing functions.  

If you don't care about the Comcast ethernet ports, then you could just leave things as they are. The Comcast router routes to the R6400, which then reroutes to all your devices.  Generally the double-routing doesn't get in the way and you can always change the setup later on.

Message 7 of 11
msfox99
Guide

Thanks for the info Cpfms.  Yes, I think I tried MAC cloning, but no help.  I had a feeling that that might be the issue.

Message 8 of 11
msfox99
Guide

Thanks StephenB.  Great info, and much appreciated.

Message 9 of 11
Cpfms
Apprentice

Just spoke with Alex from Level 2 support and he basically said if this affected you then your hardware is defective and needs to be replaced. However, unless you are still inside your 90 day warranty period they will not be replacing the defective units and you will need to go out and buy a new one yourself. Well my next router d@mn sure won't be a Netgear, I'll tell you that. Not to mention we had to play phone and email tag for weeks just for him to tell me they aren't going to do jack to make this right. 

Thanks for nothing. 

Message 10 of 11
William10a
Master

Did anyone tell the person who posted the problem that the arris modem from the cable company has backup battery and it to remove too as well unplunging the modem reset the modem best wait about 2 minutes.

I have to reset modem and router every time the lights flash or lose power the cable modem/router's are just cheap and you very limited control over them.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements