Re: Trying to improve performance

pchelp
Aspirant

Trying to improve performance

Particularly file transfers to/from the external HD on the router. WNDR3700 obviously, and v3. inSSIDer reports network speed is 300Mbps but file transfers are running at about 32Mbps. That's better than my old router but still not what it should be. (No, I don't expect it to reach 300Mbps-but it seems to me that it should reach at least 100Mbps throughput.) The bottleneck doesn't appear to be the HD or PC as I get full USB2 speed when I directly connect it to my PC. I thought it might be my adapter (Intel 5100 AGN) so I tried a WNDA3100v2-and saw no difference. I don't think it's interference (that's why I checked inSSIDer) as I'm using the 5GHz band. Any other ideas? Thanks.
Message 1 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you will find many of thread on using USB ports on router has very small transfer rate.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 20
sabretooth
Apprentice

On wireless transfers, the most you could hope for is 50% of what your connection speed says. Assuming in this case you have 1Gbps everything. In the router make sure you have WPA2-AES encryption.
Message 3 of 20
pchelp
Aspirant

As I said, I'd be happy with even 1/3. Is AES faster than TKIP? In any case AES is what I have. (WPA2, of course.) Uh, Mizoguchi, are you recommending that I return the router then? I've noticed all the people complaining about the slow transfer speeds-and been very surprised that Netgear hasn't done anything about the massive dissatisfaction.
Message 4 of 20
sabretooth
Apprentice

In order to get over 54Mbps, you must use WPA2-AES, not TRIP. Once done, try disabling WMM in the router also. Now check your wireless speed.
Message 5 of 20
pchelp
Aspirant

I'll have to check tomorrow morning. Right now I'm getting less than 8Mbps thruput. Probably because my wife's on her PC. I already had it set to AES fortunately...1st I've heard that about TKIP but now that I look I find it all over. I've disabled WMM so I'll check again in the morning & post back. Thanks.
Message 6 of 20
pchelp
Aspirant

By the way, I've been reading some other advice (not following it yet-I've learned from bitter experience that the surest way to disaster is to mix advice from different experts) and noticed that it frequently referred to 'strong' and 'weak' signal strength. What would typical values be for those? For example, inSSIDer shows -50dBm on the 5GHz band and -36dBm on the 2.4GHz band. The router's in the room right behind me so it should be a strong signal unless there's significant metal in the wall. (No reason there should be but only your builder knows for sure....) Thanks.
Message 7 of 20
pchelp
Aspirant

Also by the way, http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm talks specifically about the WNDR3700 router and contradicts your advice....as I said I'll check the speed without WMM in the morning. Thanks.
Message 8 of 20
sabretooth
Apprentice

Yeah? Their wrong BTW. Try it on and off.
Message 9 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

pchelp wrote:
As I said, I'd be happy with even 1/3. Is AES faster than TKIP? In any case AES is what I have. (WPA2, of course.) Uh, Mizoguchi, are you recommending that I return the router then? I've noticed all the people complaining about the slow transfer speeds-and been very surprised that Netgear hasn't done anything about the massive dissatisfaction.

AES and TKIP different is encryption types
http://askville.amazon.com/difference-AES-TKIP/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7123665

you need to use NAS drive for better performance then use USB on any routers...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

pchelp wrote:
By the way, I've been reading some other advice (not following it yet-I've learned from bitter experience that the surest way to disaster is to mix advice from different experts) and noticed that it frequently referred to 'strong' and 'weak' signal strength. What would typical values be for those? For example, inSSIDer shows -50dBm on the 5GHz band and -36dBm on the 2.4GHz band. The router's in the room right behind me so it should be a strong signal unless there's significant metal in the wall. (No reason there should be but only your builder knows for sure....) Thanks.

2.4Ghz has better range over 5Ghz so you may have less signal strength.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

pchelp wrote:
Also by the way, http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm talks specifically about the WNDR3700 router and contradicts your advice....as I said I'll check the speed without WMM in the morning. Thanks.

WMM is recommend to use on 300Mbps speed to be achieved
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 20
pchelp
Aspirant

I assume you mean less signal strength in 5GHz which is what it shows-but my real question is whether the strength I'm seeing (particularly at 5GHz) would be considered strong? I can easily judge relative strength but can't seem to find any guidelines to judging absolute strength-at least not in terms of what would be considered strong vs weak.
Message 13 of 20
pchelp
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:

you need to use NAS drive for better performance then use USB on any routers...

I don't see it. The router is the bottleneck, not the drive. The only scenario I can think of in which your answer makes sense would be if NetGear has crippled the USB port on the router....could that be the problem? But why would they do that?
Message 14 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

pchelp wrote:
I don't see it. The router is the bottleneck, not the drive. The only scenario I can think of in which your answer makes sense would be if NetGear has crippled the USB port on the router....could that be the problem? But why would they do that?

there is something going between the USB to wired/wireless. You will find bunch of thread about throughput. You are just late in the game about this.

I would probably say looking for ReadyNAS with gigabit is the solution and should be all the network drive needs. USB ports are fancy feature but never beats real NAS Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 15 of 20
sabretooth
Apprentice

jmizoguchi wrote:
WMM is recommend to use on 300Mbps speed to be achieved

Unfortunetly, this does not seem to be the case as I have stated earlier. Other have found this false also.
Message 16 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

pchelp wrote:
I assume you mean less signal strength in 5GHz which is what it shows-but my real question is whether the strength I'm seeing (particularly at 5GHz) would be considered strong? I can easily judge relative strength but can't seem to find any guidelines to judging absolute strength-at least not in terms of what would be considered strong vs weak.

5Ghz has less range so any penetration to material will read less signal strength as 2.4Ghz reading at same location

This is nature of frequency behavior

I'm sure 100 people will have different result because wireless very conditional base where you would not expect exactly the same other rest may say. You could have other 5ghz wireless router with channel interference even 5Ghz has more channels than 2.4ghz.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 17 of 20
pchelp
Aspirant

Mizoguchi, I'm sorry but I'm unable to understand what you're saying after 'different result'. It's probably a mistranslation as it doesn't sound like English is your everyday language. No matter-I've determined that there's something else going on at least intermittently. After 2 days of 40Mbps yesterday it dropped back to 8Mbps-and remains there this morning. Enabling/disabling WMM doesn't change anything. So I'm going to close this thread for now....once I figure out why it's changing so drastically-and fix that-then I'll open a new one about the USB performance assuming fixing this doesn't fix that. Thanks.
Message 18 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

After 2 days of 40Mbps yesterday it dropped back to 8Mbps-and remains there this morning

40Mbps of what? broadband speed or Lan to Lan

I'm sure 100 people will have different result because wireless is very conditional base where you would not expect exactly the same way that as other may say. You could have other 5ghz wireless router in the surrounding with channel interference even though 5Ghz has more channels than 2.4ghz.

above is fixed. I was phone when I typed

it doesn't sound like English is your everyday language.

never mention that.. you just offend me.. good luck
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 19 of 20
sabretooth
Apprentice

Yes looks like you have something else going on. FWIW, I have an WNDR3400v2 with a Toshiba Satellite with an Intel 5100 (internal) also with all the latest drivers. It can only connect at 54Mbps and transfers at about 20Mbps. Nothing I could to to get it to connect until I tried two external WiFi adapters. One WEC600N Express Card and a AE1000 USB adapter. With both of these I connect at a full 300Mbps at over 50 feet away through two walls and transfer at 82.5Mbps. Router only has 100Mbps LAN ports so this is the fastest I can ever transfer unless I go to 1Gbps ports. However 99% of the people don't need 1Gps ports. Might want to try one of these. My AE1000 USB was only $14 bucks.
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements