× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to turn my router into a Switch (But cannot access it)

Yato
Aspirant

Trying to turn my router into a Switch (But cannot access it)

Hi, I am struggling with my router, and I cannot figure out what to do with it. I have a different modem, and it only has one ethernet port. So I Was hopeing to turn my old wifi adapter into an switch to use between two computers. I tried to do it, but I think I messed it up because I can no longer access the admin/setup page. I tried pressing the reset button on the back to set it to factory settings agian. It still doesn't respond. So I am at a complete loss of what to do, to get it to work. 

I managed to reset it to the factory default, before I messed it up. After it had activated the changes I made, the address went to 10.0.0.1 but I was unable to access it via that address. I have tried both 192.168.1.1 and variations of it. No access. 

I am using linux mint, and the other computer uses windows 7. I am trying to connect to the internet via ethernet cable for both of them, using the old router. Please, any help would be awesome. 

Model: WNDR3300v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Re: Trying to turn my router into a Switch (But cannot access it)

What router are you using?

If I read your posting you have a new modem with a single lan port.

1 connect the lan port of the modem to the Internet port of the router

2 connect the wired lan ports of the two computers to the lan ports of the router there is your switch

3 can use the wifi of the router or turn it off the choice is yours you will still have the wired ports on most routers

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
William10a
Master

What router are you using?

If I read your posting you have a new modem with a single lan port.

1 connect the lan port of the modem to the Internet port of the router

2 connect the wired lan ports of the two computers to the lan ports of the router there is your switch

3 can use the wifi of the router or turn it off the choice is yours you will still have the wired ports on most routers

Message 2 of 3
Yato
Aspirant

I realized I had simply overthought this entire thing, and was trying to do something copletly different than what I Wanted. I reset everything, and plugged them in normally and it worked just fine (after 4 hours of being dumb). I am very tired @-@ 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7