× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Turning router on/off when wi-fi is not in use?

CaptHastings
Aspirant

Turning router on/off when wi-fi is not in use?

Hi all,

I'm a bit new to using a WiFi router, and I have a general question.  I would like to physically turn off the router when I'm not using WiFi, more to save electricity than anything else - I'm already leaving my cable modem on 24/7 as I have phone service with it.  I'd rather not leave the WiFI router on if it is not being used for WiFi (especially overnight).

Would I be able to do this without harming the router?

Cheers,

Mike T.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: Turning router on/off when wi-fi is not in use?

You won't save much electricity with something as "power light" as a modem, but you could do it.

The old idea that switching things on and off reduced their life doesn't stand up.

I would be more concerned that every time you turn it on it has to reconfigure itself and negotiate a link with the modem and the Internet. In theory it should be painless, but there have been too many questions here about routers that don't reconnect to make me confident that it will work every time.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

You won't save much electricity with something as "power light" as a modem, but you could do it.

The old idea that switching things on and off reduced their life doesn't stand up.

I would be more concerned that every time you turn it on it has to reconfigure itself and negotiate a link with the modem and the Internet. In theory it should be painless, but there have been too many questions here about routers that don't reconnect to make me confident that it will work every time.

Message 2 of 3
CaptHastings
Aspirant

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying to my post.

I appreciate the input.  I'll more than likely leave it on in that case.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7