Re: USB HDD - no network access - work via FTP - weird

GrannyS
Novice

USB HDD - no network access - work via FTP - weird

Hey guys,

So, I just got a WNDR 3700 two months ago and yesterday I connected a 1TB USB HDD to it.
I could see it showing up in the menu's of the router right away. I made some network folders that go to different folders on the HDD (i.e. \\readyshare\images goes to U:\Images and so on).
Read and Write are set to all.

I also checked network connection (* please note: some terms may not be correct, have to translate myself from the Dutch interface I use).
However, when I try to go to \\readyshare nothing happens, Windows Explorer just says (after 10-15 seconds of loading): Windows can not access \\readyshare. Check the spelling.

I tried a million and one things and I also opened up the FTP connection. And when I go to ftp://readyshare.routerlogin.net/shares it works perfectly fine and I can do everything I wish.

Nice, but I need it to work on my network for some apps, so using FTP is a workaround that does not work.

So, my question, how do I get it to work on my network? Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

- variations of Windows 7 Home/Pro 32 and 64 (multiple pc's on the network, all with the same problem).
- 1TB HDD connected to the WNDR3700 via USB. NTFS file format.
Message 1 of 6
Scubbie
Apprentice

I've used the DGND3700 and WNDR3800 and in both cases, with a variety of Windows based computers, I have been able to see the router and navigate to the drive using Windows Explorer.

Have you enabled secure access? If so you will need to use 'admin' as the Username when prompted and put in the password that you put in wen you log on to the router.

If you can't see it using Windows Explorer, could you check your network settings on both the router and your computer. For example, do you have Wireless isolation enabled?
Message 2 of 6
GrannyS
Novice

Scubbie wrote:
Have you enabled secure access? If so you will need to use 'admin' as the Username when prompted and put in the password that you put in wen you log on to the router.

If you can't see it using Windows Explorer, could you check your network settings on both the router and your computer. For example, do you have Wireless isolation enabled?

Wireless Isolation is off.
Network seems open, I can see other computers on the network. I use a vairaty of pc's some on the 5.0 GHz, others on the 2.4 GHz, and one pc via cable.

Again, all settings seem fine but the hard drive just does not show up in my network and I can't access \\readyshare.

This is an image of my USB settings on the router. In the red bar you will see the error message Windows gives me and next to it what I see when I click 'diagnose'.

http://h9.abload.de/img/help8z9og.jpg

Hope you or someone else can help me out.
Message 3 of 6

You must have subdirectories of Readyshare exposed for sharing. The default share is USB_Storage or similar (sorry I'm away from my LAN at thr moment).

You are not intended to access top-level Readyshare. Create 2 shares, 1 for private admin access & 1 for public access on your LAN.
Message 4 of 6
GrannyS
Novice

RocketJSquirrel wrote:
You must have subdirectories of Readyshare exposed for sharing. The default share is USB_Storage or similar (sorry I'm away from my LAN at thr moment).

You are not intended to access top-level Readyshare. Create 2 shares, 1 for private admin access & 1 for public access on your LAN.

Correct, as you can see I also have USB_storage. Trying to access \\readyshare\usb_storage gives the same problem.

I also set one of my shares to admin and left the others public, is that what you mean?
Message 5 of 6

Try adding an entry to your HOSTS file. I just looked at mine, and I have
192.168.1.1 router readyshare
so at some time in the dim past, I must have decided I needed that. (The "router" host name was just for my convenience.)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements