× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB Storage on R6250

Workingstiff52
Aspirant

USB Storage on R6250

Firm V1.0.4.38_10.1.30
Two problems only one that needs.
Somehow my router started sending out address 10.0.0.1. I don't know why. Very distracting. But what the hey.
I have wanted a central File storage for my home computers/entertainment. I have had a ethernet WD My Book Live. But it has been getting flaky. Getting lost, changing addresses and also now not large enough.
So I went out got an 8T Seagate, but its a USB. Cannot take it back, its the correct size as far as over kill goes. But the setup is driving me mad.
Finaly after playing YouTube videos and reading, I finally got it to where I can get to the device via browser. I can see a Network device "ReadyDLNA: R6250" with a "N" Netgear icon. suposedly it is named a "U" folder somewhere.
But I can only read it. I cannot copy over. The Geanie would use it as backup. But thats not what I want. 
I want this to be a clone drive to my existing Network Hard Drive. I want to be able to map this as a drive on my computer.
Thanks in advance. 

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Workingstiff52
Aspirant

Re: USB Storage on R6250

I tried turning off all devices in my home and restarting device by device. It was long and tediouse. Nothing seemed to work. Everything was Netgear, so it wasn't even the name brand conflict. Whatever the problem was it was part of the original setup. Device factury resets did not even clear. It was not on the providers side either.  Finally gave up and tossed the original Centurylink, Netgear modem, also the additional Netgear extender. Everything! Don't know if I had to spend $$$$>$$ for a new modem, router, and exctender, but I did. 
Through the Netgear Genie (it is the same software I have had through out this process), I went to "ReadiShare". It was there that the USB storage finally apeared. Then I right clicked on the readyshare device name and was finally able to map the drive. It was th drive itself and not specificly the folder I wanted. But I will take it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

The address 10.0.0.1 is sometimes a sign that you are running two routers on your network. The first one is using the standard IP address and your Netgear responds by using 10.0.0.1 to avoid conflicts. Perhaps this also explains the other things you see.
Message 2 of 6
Workingstiff52
Aspirant

Yes To part of your responce.

There are two routers. Though I had thought my Netgear had been turned to a switch. CenturyLink has their own for the service. 
I will have to review and try again. The USB Harddrive is attached to my router. My router is the only signal I use for wireles. My router is the only hardwire I use. The Century Link is required for their fiber optic and I only use it for the Internet feed to my router.
But that dosent mean its not the problem with the address. I will take any suggestions on that. I thought the CenturyLink was required. There is the converter box for the Fiber Optics.
My setup is CenturyLink Router goes to my Netgear router. Where my wireless signal is broadcast. As well as the (I thought it was configured as a switch) for hardwire and a switch for additional. I try to hardwire as much as possible. With the wireless only for hand held devices.

Meanwhile, since posting and now. On my one computer I took the FTP address off the Routers Web Page and pasted to File Explorer. I was able to view and manipulate the Hard Drive in a more familar enviorment. I created a folder. Added that folder to Quick Access.

But it still will not allow me to Map it as a drive. I went to yet another Computer and did the same.

Next will be my Android Devices. Then I hope to be able to discover with my Smart TV's.

Part of this exercize is that the Browser on the large Flat Screen will be able to browse a family pictures folder. If I can do this, I can accomplish showing short videos and other personal multi media projects on the flat screen.

Thanks for the clue on the address issue.

Message 3 of 6

@Workingstiff52 wrote:

There are two routers. Though I had thought my Netgear had been turned to a switch. CenturyLink has their own for the service. 

Not sure what you mean by a "switch". That term is usually reserved for a simple "dumb" LAN junction box. Connect it to the router and then plug in as many wired LAN cables as you have room for.

@Workingstiff52 wrote:

The Century Link is required for their fiber optic and I only use it for the Internet feed to my router.

If this really is just plugged into a LAN output from the fibre box, then you may not need it. You will lose nothing by removing it from the chain as a test. Although you might find it useful to reset the R6250 so that it forgets any bad habits picked up from the other router.

Message 4 of 6
Workingstiff52
Aspirant

Update

Got rid of the second Router. Since Century Link Routers do not support USB in their routers I am still on the Netgear. They have a USB plug, they do not hve the firmware in their modems for it.
I called and while Century link can and will access their modems, change Ports. In general be very helpfull with THEIR modems. They don't object to using another. They simply will not support your modem. Their fiberOptic box sends out the proper ethernet. It was a simple replace their modem with mine.

Switch... Your definition is the same as mine. A dumb ethernet. I hardwire as much as I can. I leave the wireless for Phone, speakers, Alexa, and the like.

Yet while I have sussesfully gotten to the File 8T hardrive. I still cannot Map it as a Drive.
I would like it (USB drive on Modem) to "Clone" another device. SO the USB on the modem needs to be mapable.

Now the One and only question is....

How to get at that USB device on the Netgear Modem and make it a mapable drive.

Message 5 of 6
Workingstiff52
Aspirant

I tried turning off all devices in my home and restarting device by device. It was long and tediouse. Nothing seemed to work. Everything was Netgear, so it wasn't even the name brand conflict. Whatever the problem was it was part of the original setup. Device factury resets did not even clear. It was not on the providers side either.  Finally gave up and tossed the original Centurylink, Netgear modem, also the additional Netgear extender. Everything! Don't know if I had to spend $$$$>$$ for a new modem, router, and exctender, but I did. 
Through the Netgear Genie (it is the same software I have had through out this process), I went to "ReadiShare". It was there that the USB storage finally apeared. Then I right clicked on the readyshare device name and was finally able to map the drive. It was th drive itself and not specificly the folder I wanted. But I will take it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7