× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to Connect to Apartment internet due to previous router settings

peteglanton
Aspirant

Unable to Connect to Apartment internet due to previous router settings

I just bought a new R6400 router to replace a Linksys router that I was not happy with. I live in an apartment complex where the internet is provided, and I was able to configure the previous device simply "plug and play". 

When going through multiple attempts to connect the new Netgear router, all lights on the router are white and there is an IP address available. However, in the configuration page it still is never able to connect to the internet. It seems to be due to some issue where my home modem at the apartment complex has done something to limit the "bridges" to the previous router settings and is not allowing any new router bridges to be formed. Does anyone know how to reset this network so the new Netgear router will work? 

Again I just simply plug the ethernet into the wall and do not have any access to the main modem powering the entire apartment complex in order to reset physically. 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

On the R6400, you want to go to Basic > Internet. There is where you want to replicate the settings from your old router that govern the connection to the ISP.

I can't help you with logging into your old router and navigating to the appropriate settings.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Log into your old router and look at the WAN port settings. If the IP is statically configured, then enter the same address into your Netgear. You may also need to clone the MAC address of your old router onto the Netgear. If a username and password are required to connect to the Internet, then you will need to copy those and the connection type (e.g. PPP) as well.
Message 2 of 5
peteglanton
Aspirant

Thanks very much for the feedback. However, can you give me a little more specific directions for how to do the things that you mention?
Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

On the R6400, you want to go to Basic > Internet. There is where you want to replicate the settings from your old router that govern the connection to the ISP.

I can't help you with logging into your old router and navigating to the appropriate settings.
Message 4 of 5
peteglanton
Aspirant

I got it. It worked thanks!
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7