× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to access routerlogin.net

vickyg2003
Aspirant

Unable to access routerlogin.net

Hello

I'm a not a tech, I'm a beginner and senior citizen too, so be kind.

AT&T U-verse 5268ac GATEWAY dual band router

AT&T Cisco VEN401-AT Access Point (talks to TV boxes)

NETGEAR WNR2500RP-v2 (used as what I think you'd call a wireless bridge)

At my condo complex (1400 units) we all have AT&T U-verse wireless TV, and then we arrange for our own internet, so most residents use AT&T that broadcasts the 2.4 Ghz band on channels 1,4,7,10 , while others use Comcast that uses the 3 channel system that 1,6, 11 pattern. I typically see 14-20 SIDS on each channel, so WiFi speeds are around 3Mbs on 2.4 Ghz. On the other hand my 5Ghz wifi runs at between 84 and 118 Mbs.

In order to access the internet I went into AT&T's GATEWAY and renamed 5Ghz SSID so I can force a connection to this band that runs at about 84 Mbs, even though AT&T displays warnings against doing this. Then I use the NETGEAR in another room to connect to the 5GHz band and provide wired Ethernet to my two printers and my desktop computer. And I've got the WiFi turned off on the NETGEAR so this doesn't contribute to the WiFi Pollution. This has run flawlessly for 5 years, until one of the TV boxes died and I couldn't get the new box to connect to the VEN401. A service call was scheduled for the day after Christmas

On Christmas Eve, AT&T contacted me, they had made some equipment changes and wanted me to try again. No joy. After the phone call I found that AT&T had remotely turned off my 5Ghz band on my GATEWAY as their equipment changes. When I went to login to the GATEWAY, my computer crashed with some blue screen, yikes. But after I rebooted I was able to login to the router. After that my Windows 10 desktop had become unstable with the Start menu going missing about once every 2 to 4 hours, then 2 days later my Ethernet connection through the internet died. Tried the other ports on the Netgear, and of course rebooted everything. . Finally 2 days ago I computer crashed with blue screen that had an error message on it and was able to see something about a paginating error with a process that looked like networking. So in the device manager I removed the ethernet adapter and wifi adapter, rebooted and Ethernet and Wireless networking once again functioning on the desktop, I have not crashed or lost my menu in 2 days, but I still can't login to the GATEWAY or the NETGEAR from any browser, and yes I've cleared my caches.

Then this morning I rebooted the GATEWAY and before the process was finished I went into my office, and my browser was sitting on the NETGEAR router login page. After the GATEWAY boots up and the connection is made I can longer reach the NETGEAR which is connected via Ethernet, but this is repeatable.

QUESTIONS:

Is there some sort of security setting in the 5268ac GATEWAY that would prohibit wireless access to the login screen.

If there is a such setting trickle down to the NETGEAR and prevent me from accessing RouterLogin.net via Ethernet while there is a wireless connection to the GATEWAY? Or is this coincidence.

If such a setting exists what kind of terminology and settings area would this be, I have no idea what I'm looking for, I'm not a tech?

I think this is just a coincidence that my Windows 10 computer which was idling decided to crash and become unstable coincided with AT&T reaching into the router and turning off my 5Ghz band, and that it just happened to be fixed by reinstalling the networking adapters, but the timing certainly bothers me.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
vickyg2003
Aspirant

Bit the bullet, and did a hard reset of the GATEWAU which broke the link to the NETGEAR, and was able to login wirelessly to the Gateway and restore the SSID's, and all is good with computers, printers and TVs, and can get to routerlogin.net or by using the assigned IP address. 

I'm worried because I just got a message from A&T about my GATEWAY settings being changed, and action may be required.  If they take action, I'll probably be in the same boat I've been in for the past 3 weeks!

The whole thing problem was an AT&T setting that was preventing me from reaching both my NETGEAR and the GATEWAY.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

@vickyg2003 wrote:

That is a complicated portfolio of kit.

How is it all connected?

Is the Access Point plugged into the Gateway?

The WNR2500RP is now an ageing (2012), and basic router.

If you have an Ethernet outlet on the Gateway, you might find it easier to dump the WNR2500RP abd replace it with Powerline Ethernet. You can then use that for wired Ethernet to printers and computer. Powerline is also good for Smart TVs that have Ethernet.

Simplifying the network and getting back to basics might make life easier.

Message 2 of 8
vickyg2003
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@vickyg2003 wrote:

That is a complicated portfolio of kit.

How is it all connected?

Is the Access Point plugged into the Gateway?

----------------------------------------------------------

@vickyg2003 wrote:

The WNR2500RP is connected via 5GHz WiFi

--------------------------------------------------------------

easier to dump the WNR2500RP abd replace it with Powerline Ethernet.

--------------------------------------------------------------

@vickyg2003 wrote:

It was my understanding that Powerline connections had to be on the same circuit

But mine are on different breakers.

In the meantime I had a friend come over with a laptop.  I went up and down the GATEWAY settings and couldn't find anything that sounds like a prevent wireless access and when I connected it through WiFi it would not work. 

I've been doing this through wifi since I got the router.

I suppose they pushed out an update. 

Message 3 of 8

@vickyg2003 wrote:

It was my understanding that Powerline connections had to be on the same circuit

Spot on there. But I have never come across a single property that has separate mains circuits.

Not sure what you mean by "breakers". If these are circuit breakers that act as fuses, then they should be on the same switch box with the same mains input. (Flick one switch on the box and the whole place loses power.) In which case they are on the same circuit.

I'm still having trouble understanding what connects to what. Probably because I have no idea what AT&T U-verse wireless TV is. I assume that it is something separate from your Internet service.  So your challenge is to connect to the Internet with one wifi network and the TV with a separate wifi network.

I doubt if there are many people here who use AT&T U-verse wireless TV. It isn't something I have seen mentioned before.

Message 4 of 8
vickyg2003
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@vickyg2003 wrote:

Spot on there. But I have never come across a single property that has separate mains circuits.

Not sure what you mean by "breakers". If these are circuit breakers that act as fuses, then they should be on the same switch box with the same mains input. (Flick one switch on the box and the whole place loses power.) In which case they are on the same circuit.

I'm still having trouble understanding what connects to what. Probably because I have no idea what AT&T U-verse wireless TV is. I assume that it is something separate from your Internet service.  So your challenge is to connect to the Internet with one wifi network and the TV with a separate wifi network.

I doubt if there are many people here who use AT&T U-verse wireless TV. It isn't something I have seen mentioned before.

AT&T Uverse is delivered via fiber optics.  Unlike a cable TV - interent, where the cable is split one to Modem Router, and the other part to the TVs.  This service comes in to the AT&T GATEWAY which is the main MODEM ROUTER. The TV signal is then distributed via an AP access point and a whole house DVR that occupy 2 of the ethernet ports.   The TV setop boxes other than the DVR are all wireless and connected to the AP.  The GATEWAY Modem Router router also handles the internet access. 

Down the hall is my office where I have 2 Ethernet printers, a computer, and there is no way to get an ethernet cable all this way that is not going to look tacky.  I took the NETGEAR Box and established a Wireless connection to the GATEWAY and provided ethernet access to my computer and printers.  All my wireless devices can print to my printers, and internet access has been lightning quick. 

The problem is that now all of a sudden I can't get to NETGEAR ROUTERLOGIN.NET which is connected with ETHERNET unless the GATEWAY is down, and the whole point of logging into the NETGEAR is to re-establish wireless communication with the GATEWAY, and I no longer can reach the GATEWAY wirelessly. 

Oh and I thought when Powerline talked about being on the same circuit they were talking about the circuit for a circuit breaker.  Calling it the same circuit if they meant the same breaker box seems like odd terminology.

Message 5 of 8

@vickyg2003 wrote:

Oh and I thought when Powerline talked about being on the same circuit they were talking about the circuit for a circuit breaker.  Calling it the same circuit if they meant the same breaker box seems like odd terminology.

There are many ways of defining a circuit. Ultimately, the whole country sits on one "circuit".

In the case of Powerline, the circuit is the one that feeds your property. In apartments people sometimes find that their Powerline plugs talk to the neighbour's plugs.

If it all goes back to the same fuse box and power meter, that's one circuit. There may be various loops on that circuit, upstairs and downstairs, for example, but they will all talk to each other when it comes to Powerline.

If there is more than one switch box, that can get in the way of a clean circuit. For example, my office network has a fuse box with a trip switch connected to a separate fuse box and switch in the house. Powerline does cross the joins but the signal, and speed, is significantly slower.

On the wifi issue, I wonder if it is an IP address thing. ROUTERLOGIN.NET is not the only way in. If you know the IP address of the WNR2500RP, then you can throw that at your browser. By default it should be: 192.168.1.1

Message 6 of 8
vickyg2003
Aspirant

tHA

@michaelkenward wrote:

@vickyg2003 wrote:

On the wifi issue, I wonder if it is an IP address thing. ROUTERLOGIN.NET is not the only way in. If you know the IP address of the WNR2500RP, then you can throw that at your browser. By default it should be: 192.168.1.1

The NETGEAR WNR2500RP gets its ip address automatically from the GATEWAY.  That is why I was trying to login to the GATEWAY, to see what the WNR2500RP's IP address is.  I haven't been able to do that since Dec 27, when wireless access to the GATEWAY stopped working.  If I power down both routers and reboot the WNR2500RP I can access the box by either Routerlogin.net or its default IP address, but what's the point.  It won't work when the GATEWAY is up, which is what I need it for.

Message 7 of 8
vickyg2003
Aspirant

Bit the bullet, and did a hard reset of the GATEWAU which broke the link to the NETGEAR, and was able to login wirelessly to the Gateway and restore the SSID's, and all is good with computers, printers and TVs, and can get to routerlogin.net or by using the assigned IP address. 

I'm worried because I just got a message from A&T about my GATEWAY settings being changed, and action may be required.  If they take action, I'll probably be in the same boat I've been in for the past 3 weeks!

The whole thing problem was an AT&T setting that was preventing me from reaching both my NETGEAR and the GATEWAY.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7