× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect R6400 router to modem after software upgrade attempt using NETGEAR Genie

Mushy25
Aspirant

Unable to connect R6400 router to modem after software upgrade attempt using NETGEAR Genie

We tried to upgrade our R6400 (5 years old but working fine) router on the Network Genie due to slow speeds and drop outs. Internet speeds directly from modem did not vary much. I noticed the the "Genie" is now obsolete and has not been updated for some time.

During download the router disconnected and will not connect back up to the modem. We do have internet. The modem works. We have down cycled the modem and router as well as replaced 'cords'. We have done a factory reset but nothing has changed.

There is no support from Netgear without having to pay for a problem that seems to be an issue created by them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to connect R6400 router to modem after software upgrade attempt using NETGEAR Genie

what are the led's on it doing? 

are you able to ping the router

Message 2 of 10
Mushy25
Aspirant

Re: Unable to connect R6400 router to modem after software upgrade attempt using NETGEAR Genie

All LEDs are working as normal. We’re getting service to the modem and can connect via Ethernet.
Ping and speed are ok.
It is going to the router. But we are getting no wifi signal. This all happened after a failed software update directly from the Netgear genie site.
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

so you can ping the router and it works hardwired. 

Its just wirleess that doesn't work? 

Does it broadcast and you can't connect? 

Can you connect and it says "connected, no internet"

Does it not even broadcast? 

Message 4 of 10
Mushy25
Aspirant

It would not connect up when hardwired to laptops.
It was not visible at all. It was not broadcasting.
Could not be found on any device. This was also the same s for the guest network we had set up.
It looks like it works with all light correct. But nothing is coming out. No wifi signal or Donald when connected up with cable.
Separate modem works fine. Internet connection tested ok.
Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

I'd start with a factory reset again. 

push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds whiles its powered on. See if that gets you back to stock settings and able to access it hardwired. 

If not, then I'd move onto trying to recover it using tftp. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 6 of 10
Mushy25
Aspirant

Hard reset was tries a couple of times.
Absolutely no change to anything.
All settings remained the same. It was not reset back to factory settings.
I deliberately changed some settings when connected up to it and saved them. As soon as it was disconnected it would revert back to settings when problem found.
Nothing is changing the settings and saving them permanently.
We have another router now as we needed it up and running last week.
I will try your recovery plan but my Wife tried something similar from Netgear already.
Nothing seems to change the settings.
Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

when you try the installing firmware, actually try downgrading a version. Maybe the version you're installing has issues. 

Message 8 of 10
Mushy25
Aspirant

The original software update was from the Netgear genie which I found out is now not monitored or updated. Now there’s nighthawk. The update was started and soon after a window popped up saying the update failed to download. That’s when we lost the router.
I downloaded the Nighthawk app and the router was not visible to it either.
I’ll play with it at some stage but we need internet through the week and haven’t got the time to drop it all.
Message 9 of 10
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mushy25,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. Do you still have this problem? If yes, have you tried the steps from this link https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface ? If yes, please tell us what is the error when the Setup Wizard starts detecting the internet.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver
Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7