× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect after firmware roll back. R6400

Darkproteus66
Aspirant

Unable to connect after firmware roll back. R6400

Router running unusually slow after firmware update. Rolled back to stock firmware and now the lights on showing everything is running normally but nothing over Ethernet is getting data, I cannot log into the router via browser, if I connect to the WiFi network the router just restarts. I've tried hard resetting router to the same effect. Is there any way to force a firmware reinstall over USB?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Darkproteus66
Aspirant

Re: Unable to connect after firmware roll back. R6400

So I was able to fix it last night after getting home. I pulled the router from the main network hard wired it to a laptop and held the reset while hard power cycling and trying to connect/get pingback. After about 3 or 4 times and it finally allowed for pingback from the attached laptop. Redownloaded the latest firmware to another computer over my backup router transferred via usb to the laptop hooked to the R6400 and was able to finally login to the router and load the updated firmware. It's been back to working like a dream since then no issues even after getting it reconfigured, resetting my ftp settings, and several soft reboots and hard power cycles across it and the network as a whole.

I'm assuming it was some caching issue left behind from the firmware downgrade but honestly no clue. It went from dead to good as new over the course of that 15 min power cycle process.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Can you ping the router? If you run ipconfig /all command what does it show?  You mean pushing reset button does not do anything?

Message 2 of 5
Darkproteus66
Aspirant

I didn't try pinging it but ipconfig does show it on the network at the IP address it was assigned to by defualt as the Gateway. When I press the reset button the router does restart and the lights go through the normal reboot process but the same issue persists after it's back up.

Message 3 of 5

As this is a router, it is probably connected to a modem. Have you taken the whole network through the startup process specified in the Quick Start guide?

>>> R6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 4 of 5
Darkproteus66
Aspirant

So I was able to fix it last night after getting home. I pulled the router from the main network hard wired it to a laptop and held the reset while hard power cycling and trying to connect/get pingback. After about 3 or 4 times and it finally allowed for pingback from the attached laptop. Redownloaded the latest firmware to another computer over my backup router transferred via usb to the laptop hooked to the R6400 and was able to finally login to the router and load the updated firmware. It's been back to working like a dream since then no issues even after getting it reconfigured, resetting my ftp settings, and several soft reboots and hard power cycles across it and the network as a whole.

I'm assuming it was some caching issue left behind from the firmware downgrade but honestly no clue. It went from dead to good as new over the course of that 15 min power cycle process.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7