Unable to connect to router / Internet

fnitchiefl
Novice

Unable to connect to router / Internet

Im at the end of my rope...ive been trying to fix this internet conenction or lack of it for two days..looks like I have a typical problem, can connect through pc and cable modem, but nothing through router. my ipad and iphone pick up signal but no connection, i cant connect to router ip address ( to do lord knows what ) i just see that others with problems are told to do this and netgear support is nonexistent...ive been through shutdowns, reconnects, even had aol tech support on the phone for three hours, i got nothing. surely someone has an answer.
Message 1 of 16
sabretooth
Apprentice

Re: help please

Hare you hard reset the router back to factory defaults and reinstalled it all over?
Message 2 of 16
garlicrouter
Aspirant

yes i agree, reset the router. i wasn't able to add a new tablet to my wifi but all my others worked. i reset the router and it solved it. this is common actually..
Message 3 of 16
Devor
Luminary

If a resetting the modem and router in sequence and not using a saved router configuration doesn't solve the issue, which router, which revision of router and which firmware?
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 4 of 16
TheApostle0
Novice

I had the same problem at first and found out that the older I pads can only connect to the 2.4 ghz setting
Message 5 of 16
fnitchiefl
Novice

ok, thx, Ill try the hard reset, let me find a paper clip... i actualy started the the firmware solution however i got lost in downloading drivers, finding them, uploading something. by that time i was so frustrated its a wonder i havent thrown it all out the window.
Message 6 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Hard reset the router is the first thing and if still an issues then manually download from support page at support.netgear.com and upload. Flow with hard reset the router and check

If still has an issues and unit is still under warranty then contact support via portal at my.netgear.com or otherwise you may be looking new router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 16
fnitchiefl
Novice

Tried the hard reset, reinstalled, updated driver, the whole nineyards, nothing. Frankly though, other than this forum, netgear support has been totaly disapointing...
Message 8 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If unit is under warranty then contact support to get RMA exchange
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 16
Devor
Luminary

Has it occurred to anyone that without knowing the router model number, the revision of the router and the version of the firmware used, that the issue could be a simple fix? But, since that information continues to be missing from the discussion, all I can say is good luck with your RMA.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 10 of 16
fnitchiefl
Novice

Re: Unable to connect to router / Internet

I would really like to think it is a simple fix. I've been on the phone with Netgear support for four hours. I've even bought a new netgear WNDr3400. I've been through resets, hard resets, wired modem to computer, (to check cables, communication, etc, I've been through IP config to set ipv4 address correctly (set static address instead of lettign computer do it) and still nothing...the wndr3400 is brand new, why no disk? i was counting on that to enable router to negotiate with computer to get settings straight and still nothing. BTW, the local area connection (2) is still showing up (albeit disabled, and apparently unable to delete this) maybe this is the simple fix? I ve been on the phone with aol live support for 1.5 hours yesterday, they couldnt find the problem, four hours today with net gear support.. surely there must be a fix..
Message 11 of 16
sabretooth
Apprentice

There are no CD shipped with any routers, not needed. All access is built in the router itself. I suspect your router may be defective. Take it back and replace it.
Message 12 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

When stop shipping cd's? I thought they still do that with install guide.

Although CD does not really fixes the issues just assist to none technical users
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 16
sabretooth
Apprentice

Oh ohps, I could be wrong. I was thinking of a setup cd.
Message 14 of 16
rcd1390
Aspirant

For six months I have tried router after router. I have a large home, all I want to do is add a second router to my netgear wndr3400. It is also a netgear (wnr1000) and I have it hard wired from one of the Ports to one of the ports. I apparently need a degree in rocket science, as it seems to make no difference if I use a dlink router or any other brand. Nothing works for very long, if at all. I have followed every. Set of instructions since Moses received the 10 commandments and nothing seems to work. Is it really that big of a deal that we can control robots on Mars but I cannot connect 2 routers for a seamless experience???? Why???????????? There is no snippet of code that can solve my problem?
Than you for allowing me to vent.
Message 15 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19852
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-