Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to do factory reset as it is stuck in a mandatory password recovery security questions page.

wynwar
Initiate

Unable to do factory reset as it is stuck in a mandatory password recovery security questions page.

Even after doing a factory reset(as directed here:https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router), my router asks me this recocvery question:
----------------------------
Router Password Recovery
Please complete the answers to the two security questions below and click Continue.
Security Question #1
In what city were you born?
Answer

Security Question #2
What is your youngest brother's first name?
Answer

*=required information

----------------------------

These are not questions I created(I don't have a younger brother). I see that this problem has been discussed here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Password-recovery-security-questions-do-not-... and here:https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Router-Password-Recovery/td-p/1478134 but no one has provided a solution. Can anybody help me out here?

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to do factory reset as it is stuck in a mandatory password recovery security questions pa

When you push and hold the reset button (while its powered on) do the lights change/blink after the 7-10 seconds?  If they aren't, hold for up to 30 seconds. 

The c6300 is a modem/router combo device, anyway to see if your isp can re-partition it for you? 

once its reset the default login should be admin and default password should be password.  All lower case. Make sure to not use any autofill settings. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to do factory reset as it is stuck in a mandatory password recovery security questions pa

When you push and hold the reset button (while its powered on) do the lights change/blink after the 7-10 seconds?  If they aren't, hold for up to 30 seconds. 

The c6300 is a modem/router combo device, anyway to see if your isp can re-partition it for you? 

once its reset the default login should be admin and default password should be password.  All lower case. Make sure to not use any autofill settings. 

Message 2 of 6

In addition to the rsp[onse from @plemans you should know that there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Message 3 of 6
wynwar
Initiate

I was trying for 7-8 seconds all the while and then discovered another post which said we have to keep the reset pressed till "amber lights flicker". It took about 30 seconds as you've mentioned and that did the trick for a complete reset. It did't ask for the modem serial number or the security questions after that. Directly took me to "new password setting screen".

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working! I've used the C6300 and it was solid for the period I used it in. Hopefully its as good for you!

Message 5 of 6

@wynwar wrote:

It took about 30 seconds as you've mentioned and that did the trick for a complete reset.

That's also part of the fully monty recovery reset.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

It is can also help to recover a "bricked" device without the need for TFTP trickery.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7