Unable to update Firmware

Travelingelk
Aspirant

Unable to update Firmware

I received a notice that new firmware was available. I am currently running V1..0.34. Using the Netware genie's Firmware Upgrade Assistant I tried to upgrade the fireware. The little indicator bard immediately went to 20% and stayed there for over an hour with no progress. I stopped the Assistant turned the router off waited about 20 seconds and powered it back up. When all lights were green I again tried the Assistant. The same thing happens. I have tried this three times now. What should I try now? I am running Firefox 52.0.2 (32 bit). Thanks

Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Unable to update Firmware

Hello Travelingelk

What is the model of your cable modem?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
Travelingelk
Aspirant

It says:

NETGEAR

N300 WiFi Router

Model: WNR2000v5

Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Travelingelk I suggest that you upgrade the firmware manually. 

Download and follow the instructions on how to upload it here

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 8
Travelingelk
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. I followed your instructions to update the firmware manually. It seemd to go fine and got to the point where it said "Please wait a moment...." The little wheel was going around and around and around and around. After almost 30-minutess the little wheel was still going around and around and around and around! Is this normal and if so, how long should this take? Thanks again.

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It shouldn't take that long. 

Is the power blinking or it's solidly lit?

Another thing you could do is to follow the steps from the article below.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 8
Travelingelk
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for your patience with me.  I did not notice the condition of any of the lights (power blinking or solidly lit) on the router during the previous exercise. 

Let me take a minute to tell you of a couple things about me. I am 84 years young, partially handicapped and live in a  RV; therefore, it is very difficult for me to get down on the floor to change cables, turn equipment off and on or do anything else that involves getting down and up. I guess I can always fall DOWN, but then I would have a problem getting up. I used to have a young fellow that would come over and help me, but he started wanting to charge me  what I considered too much and I don't have the extra money to pay him.

OK - back to my router problem. I have doctor's appointments both tomorrow and Wednesday so probably won't get a chance to even try this latest procedure until Thursday. I will get down on the floor hopefully late tomorrow afternoon and put longer cables going to the router so that I can pull the modem up where I can work on it without being down on the floor. As soon as I have any inormation I will contact you.

Thanks again - Hal

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Feel free to give us an update anytime. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies