Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Unbricking WNDR4500v1 (Solid amber power)

So I've followed several guides and I'm pretty sure the router is pretty much toast, but I feel like I should try this one final time.

So I've already followed a guide to try and use tftp2 (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841/~/reinstall-the-firmware-on-a-router-without-the...) with no luck. I've played around with the router while continuously pinging it and every once in a while I manage to get a response (Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TIL=100), otherwise it either times out, gets a general failure, or 'destination hose unreachable'. So from what I understand I have to flash the firmware in the short (less than a second) period where pinging results in an actual reply...

I've also seen other guides talk about shorting two pins to force the wait for a new firmware, but I'm not sure which two pins I would have to short.

Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Unbricking WNDR4500v1 (Solid amber power)

You need to have stable response from router in order for you to succesfully reflash the firmware otherwise it is already busted.
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Master

If you get that ping response for sure, using tftp method it is possible to reload f/w. As soon as you see the ping response, you have to initiate tftp command. The split second timing window is critical. Open two command windows, one for ping and one for tftp, as soon as you see the ping response , start the tftp command from other window. Keep trying until you are successful.
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

VE6CGX wrote:
If you get that ping response for sure, using tftp method it is possible to reload f/w. As soon as you see the ping response, you have to initiate tftp command. The split second timing window is critical. Open two command windows, one for ping and one for tftp, as soon as you see the ping response , start the tftp command from other window. Keep trying until you are successful.

What's the command?

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT WNDR4500-V1.0.1.40_1.0.68
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Did you enable already the TFTP client of your computer. Most windows except XP, tftp is disabled by default.
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:
Did you enable already the TFTP client of your computer. Most windows except XP, tftp is disabled by default.

Yes I did.
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Make sure the location where the you run the command prompt should have the firmware saved on same location.
Message 7 of 7