Unidentified Device in Wireless Card Access Setup screen

frankenfloyd
Aspirant

Unidentified Device in Wireless Card Access Setup screen

I'm setting up my new router to allow only specific MAC addresses to access the network. When I click the "Set Up Access List" button and click the "Add" button, I see a list of connected devices to choose from. One is listed as device name with a MAC address of ADDR. It seems odd to me, can someone tell me what this is?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Unidentified Device in Wireless Card Access Setup screen

Just did not simply sync the device name with ARP request/reply

Nothinig majorly concern about iot as long as you know the mac address belongs too,,
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 5
frankenfloyd
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. My only problem is I don't believe I have any other devices connected. Also, the fact that the MAC Address is so odd (it is ADDR rather than a series of 2 digit letters/numbers).
Message 3 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

make sure you are using WPA2 encryption and redo the wireless settings
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 5
Joe_
Apprentice

Quite an unknown number of people are careless about securing their wireless network. As June said, do over your wireless configuration and use WPA2 if possible. You should also change your SSID and passphrase. Choose a good strong passphrase. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_strength#Mnemonic_passwords

Access Control List (or ACL) offers very little security. It can sometimes cause more problems for you than a real hacker. If you are certain that this unknown MAC is not one of your own, then the advice given should solve matters.

I use WPA2 with a fairly good Passphrase. I've also changed the admin password so that no one else could access my router settings and change them to suit their own ends. For nuisance, casual freeloaders, I've also turned-off SSID broadcast. Before I did the latter I used to have multiple attempts to connect from unknowns, that could have been having a possible negative impact on my wifi.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E