× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Update V1.0.0.78.img is corrupted when I try to open it.

MuktiMom
Aspirant

Update V1.0.0.78.img is corrupted when I try to open it.

I got the Netgear notice to update my firmware.  The routerlogin.net link in the email doesn't work in Chrome.  I used a bookmarked link to check my firmware and it is out of date.  I clicked Firmware and Software option on the support page for my router and hit the download button.  I'm using UnzipPro to extract the file because Windows refuses to extract it..  The file was a cd file, and I was asked if I want to burn it.  I am not set up for this, and when I tried to open it, I keep getting the message that the file is corrupted.  I downloaded it several times, same result, with another app as well.

How important is this update, my current is: V1.0.0.74.  Any suggestions?  Thank you very much.

Firmware VersionV1.0.0.74
Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Update V1.0.0.78.img is corrupted when I try to open it.

This is a bit confusing.

@MuktiMom wrote:

I used a bookmarked link to check my firmware and it is out of date. 

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

That section will have a library of firmware for your device.

The file was a cd file, and I was asked if I want to burn it. 

It was an .img file,  not to be confused with an "image" of a CD. That file has nothing to do with CDs. It is just the file extension that Netgear chose for its firmware files. (Some firmware has he equally confusing .chk extension.)  You do not "open" the .img file, you tell your router to "load" is.

The instructions are here:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The manual for your device also explains what to do.

The support pages also have documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual on updating the firmware.

I'm using UnzipPro to extract the file because Windows refuses to extract it.. 

Something odd is happening in Windows at your end. There is nothing wrong with the zipped firmware file. It happily responds to a "right click > Open in Windows Explorer" operation.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

This is a bit confusing.

@MuktiMom wrote:

I used a bookmarked link to check my firmware and it is out of date. 

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

That section will have a library of firmware for your device.

The file was a cd file, and I was asked if I want to burn it. 

It was an .img file,  not to be confused with an "image" of a CD. That file has nothing to do with CDs. It is just the file extension that Netgear chose for its firmware files. (Some firmware has he equally confusing .chk extension.)  You do not "open" the .img file, you tell your router to "load" is.

The instructions are here:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The manual for your device also explains what to do.

The support pages also have documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual on updating the firmware.

I'm using UnzipPro to extract the file because Windows refuses to extract it.. 

Something odd is happening in Windows at your end. There is nothing wrong with the zipped firmware file. It happily responds to a "right click > Open in Windows Explorer" operation.

Message 2 of 4
MuktiMom
Aspirant

Dear michaelkenward (GURU), Thank you for your rapid response!  Thank you for the excellent directions, it's done. Pass Go, collect $200, 3 Get out of Jail Free cards and lots of good karma. Cheers! MuktiMom
Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4

@MuktiMom wrote:
Dear michaelkenward (GURU), Thank you for your rapid response!  Thank you for the excellent directions, it's done. Pass Go, collect $200, 3 Get out of Jail Free cards and lots of good karma. Cheers! MuktiMom

That's good news. Thanks for reporting back.

Sadly, this stuff gets confusing. You weren't the first, and won't be the last, to hit that brick wall. From what we see here, it happens all the time.

Netgear tries to help by letting routers update themselves automatically, Then people complain and want to turn it off.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7