markymark896
Aspirant

Upgraded internet speed, wndr3700 won't pass it on...

Hey y'all,

I upgraded from the 15Mbps Time Warner Roadrunner to the 30Mbps. If I plug directly into the modem I have 30Mbps on my PC running a test from speedtest.net. When I connect either wired or wirelessly to the WNDR3700 v2, running firmware v1.0.0.8, I only get about 2/3 of the 30Mbps. Anyone know what I could do to increase the internet speed through the router?

Thanks,
Mark
Message 1 of 10
markymark896
Aspirant

Re: Upgraded internet speed, wndr3700 won't pass it on...

Do you think upgrading from v1.0.0.8NA to v1.0.0.12 would be a good idea and maybe fix my problem?
Message 2 of 10
jlewter
Guide

Upgrading shouldnt be required.

So your saying, when connected through modem, your getting about 20 meg, when connected straight your getting about 30.

When did you upgrade your service?...
Are you sure your getting 20 and not 15, If you were getting 15 then I would say that your old IP might still be tagg'd by their servers (not fully sure how RR limits speed).

This router will easily break the limit of 20/30/100/200 meg connections. Clone the MAC in the WAN settings of the router, reboot both the modem and router. I dont think it'll fix the issue, but it might. ISP's tend to issue IP's based on the MAC connected to the modem. While both might be functional for you, one might have a much faster gateway (on the ISP side) to a specific speed testing site. So test your speed via multiple sites and/or clone the MAC before you try to push through any major changes.
Message 3 of 10
markymark896
Aspirant

When I'm wired directly to the Motorola modem I get 30Mbps d/l. When I connect to the wndr3700v2, I get approx. 20Mbps d/l.
Message 4 of 10
jlewter
Guide

Did you try as I suggested?.
Also what is the "Link Rate" shown in the router for the connection speed on the WAN port. Maintenance/Router Status/Show Statistics(at bottom of page)
Message 5 of 10
markymark896
Aspirant

jlewter wrote:
Did you try as I suggested?.
Also what is the "Link Rate" shown in the router for the connection speed on the WAN port. Maintenance/Router Status/Show Statistics(at bottom of page)

WAN Status says 1000M/Full.

Both WLAN's say 300M.

As far as doing what you said, I'm not sure what you meant about cloning the MAC of the router.

I am having another issue as well. The whole network was working fine when I went to bed last night (other than the speed was only 2/3 of what it is at the output of the modem). This morning when I got up, the 2 Linksys Wireless bridges that I have in the network were not talking to the network anymore. I rebooted the modem and the router and the bridges came right back online. I've never had them do that before.

Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way.

Thanks,
Mark
Message 6 of 10
markymark896
Aspirant

After looking at the port speeds, I noticed that port 1 and port 2 wouldn't get faster than 10M no matter what I plug into it. I plugged my PC into port 3 and it registered as a 1000M connection. I am getting full speed from port 3 on the router. So that means the modem is passing the full speed into the router through the wan port. Wireless connections are still only 2/3 of full speed though. Why would the wireless not give me full speed if it available in the router?

Thanks,
Mark
Message 7 of 10
jlewter
Guide

link rate (300 meg wireless, gigabit wired) only dictates the max speed that the link could run if all conditions were met. Wireless will never hit that 300 meg mark, but the 30 meg mark shouldnt be an issue if devices are connecting at 11n speeds.

You should stick to wired before you try to sort it as a collective, all ports on the router should give the same speed, they are all connected through the same chip and same spec componets. If two ports are failing to get gigabit, and one is then something else is wrong. The patch cords your using sounds faulty.
Message 8 of 10
markymark896
Aspirant

Thanks jlewter.

I am using the same cable on the same pc and ports 1 and 2 only get 10M. Port 3 gets 1G. I'm getting full speed out of the port 3 but the wireless is only 2/3 of the full speed. I'm mostly concerned with the wireless speed. Ports 1 and 2 being limited don't concern me much. Any ideas on the wireless?

Thanks,
Mark
Message 9 of 10
markymark896
Aspirant

Ok I fixed my wireless speed. Getting full 30Mbps/5Mbps wirelessly now. Had to change wireless security settings on each pc to AES from TKIP. The router is setup for WPA2 AES+TKIP. AES is faster than TKIP evidently...
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements