× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Use WNDR3700 to boost R7000 Wifi?

PJRed2008
Aspirant

Use WNDR3700 to boost R7000 Wifi?

I have an R7000 currently in use, both wired and wifi. Unit is downstairs and I would like to boost, primarily, 5gz upstairs for new TV. I also have a WNDR3700 that also supports 5gz, not is use. Can I use the 3700 as satellite to boost the 5gz? Not a real good network tech.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
PJRed2008
Aspirant

As a follow up to this thread, my TV arrived early and is happily using 5G, along with an Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick (downstairs). Am totally impressed by the Netgear R7000 as it's a floor away but still supports 4K video streaming on 5G with absolutely no stutter or buffering, along with a couple computers and smartphone on 2.4. Totally impressed.

Thanks to those who responded with ideas. I can only imagine what the X-10 is like.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies

If the TV has a wired LAN input an easier option might be powerline plugs.

That is how I connect my BluRay player to the Internet. Much more reliable than wifi.

You could even get a powerline set that also provides a wifi access point for that part of the house.

Message 2 of 9
PJRed2008
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Have considered wall plug units but wanted to use the 3700 if possible, hate to see good hardware just sitting around. The TV does have a LAN port which, as you point out, would be the preferred solution. Looking at the router manuals more, it appears I can use the 3700 as a repeater, but would have to disable all wifi security. Bridge appears to be the answer but the 3700 doesn't support that according to the manual.

Message 3 of 9

If you can find a way of getting the old router to work, then that could also feed the TV's LAN. If you can position it near enough to the TV and still get a decent signal.

Message 4 of 9
PJRed2008
Aspirant

Have had the old router setup, wifi is very good but I have no internet connection without a connection to the R7000. Yeah, thought about using it's LAN port to go direct to the TV, but with no internet...

Looking at powerline adaptors with speed to match the R7000 (can't find 1900, only 1200), so that is an option except that main floor of house is old and doesn't have grounded outlets. Always something.

I could also go with a Nighthawk AC1900 Range Extender as that would also give me LAN ports. But, it's dependant on wifi only from the main router so not sure if that  would be best choice.

Message 5 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PJRed2008 Can you configure the WNDR3700 to be the main router then set the R7000 in bridge mode

Message 6 of 9
PJRed2008
Aspirant

It would seem, if I did that, I would lose the benefits of the R7000. The powerline option is a better choice I think. Or, I may just run ethernet and hardwire the TV. Have another week until it's delivered but I may have enough signal anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
Message 7 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's true. So you have all the options to think about. 

Message 8 of 9
PJRed2008
Aspirant

As a follow up to this thread, my TV arrived early and is happily using 5G, along with an Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick (downstairs). Am totally impressed by the Netgear R7000 as it's a floor away but still supports 4K video streaming on 5G with absolutely no stutter or buffering, along with a couple computers and smartphone on 2.4. Totally impressed.

Thanks to those who responded with ideas. I can only imagine what the X-10 is like.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7