Re: User Created - USB Compatibility List.

Dr_Doug505
Aspirant

jalla wrote:
WD Elements 1TB i got for christmas works just fine for me.

Model: WDBAAU0010HBK-EESN
I have been trying for two days to get mine to work. Don't know the problem, Ideas?
Message 51 of 75
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Is the drive not recognised at all, or is it recognised but the router locks up, or something else? If the drive is recognised but the router locks up then the problem could be with the files on the drive e.g. too many or incompatible types.
Message 52 of 75
Dr_Doug505
Aspirant

The drive is not recognized, even after it has been "added". In other words, the drive is recognized by the Advanced Section USB Tab. And can be handled by the add authorized device operation, but then go to the USB section either basic or advanced and nothing show in the folders section.

I removed the drive and replaced with a USB stick, which added and then showed folders and files.
Message 53 of 75
saavedr3
Aspirant

1TB Lacie Black Hard Disk, NTFS formatted, using an iMac computer on 10.5.8. 🙂
Message 54 of 75
after5
Aspirant

WD My Book 3TB with latest firmware
WNDR3700v1 with 14.98

Not working.

So far I've tried setting the NTFS security rights correctly.
Reformatting the drive to 2+1 TB under NTFS

I can plug in a Hitachi 360G all day long and bam, it pops up.
FRUSTRATING!:mad:
Message 55 of 75
after5
Aspirant

Added steps:
Upgraded to 16.98, no change

Dropped back to factory settings with 14.98, no change
Reformatted drive ender ext3 format, no change
Reformatted drive using the WD utility under the default XP format, the USB light is now on, but still no luck
Reflashed to 16.98 and reloaded my standard config, no change
Modified the NTFS security right again for Full Access for Everyone, no change

I can see the ReadyShare poppiing up on the network, but no USB storage.

Still can plug in the 360G Hitachi and see it in 5 seconds
Taking a break, beer, clear head. Hopefully someone has the answer out there!
Message 56 of 75
Joe_
Apprentice

According to Mars Mug, it seems that 2TB is max supported. This is not a much advertised piece of info. (Was said somwhere hereabouts in these forums recently.)

Good idea... I think I'll grab a beer too! 😉
Message 57 of 75
gaffster
Aspirant

gaffster wrote:
Another vote for

The Western Digital - WD Elements 2TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive - it works out of the box, but only on XP

With Vista, I kept getting 0x80070043 errors when trying to map to Readyshare, which I fixed by tweaking ZoneAlarm (free version) settings to make sure my internal IP address range was treated as trusted.

Based on hints in this thread (thanks to all contributors!)

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=50068&page=2

Gaffster

Bad form to reply to your own post - but....

Just returned from 2 weeks holiday to find WD Elements Drive had died. Firmware on WNDR3700 is up to date

Have tried various combinations of cycling router and drive but router management interface (USB settings) completely refuses to recognise that the drive is attached. USB status light is sometimes on, sometimes off.

Tried direct connection of the drive to a laptop - which recognises it as a WD product but tells me it needs to format it before use (so I just dismounted it instead).

Anyone got any suggestions as to next steps? Much obliged if you have.

Gaffster
Message 58 of 75
ktwiford
Novice

Compatibility list states WD 250GB and 500GB drives are OK. I have a WD WD3200, which does not appear in either "OK" or "not OK", but does not appear to work. Any thoughts?
Message 59 of 75
ronson
Novice

So I posted this in a different thread but Joe_ reminded me to post my findings here in this Thread.

The Harddisks which you want to use with the WNDR Routers need to be switched to "MBR". Mostly the big HDDs are switched to "GPT" which in my experience will not be recognized by any Netgear Router with USB which I tested (WNDR3700,WNDR4000,WNR3500L) .

I needed 2 Days to discover this accidently by myself! ^^ . I thought the HDD is not compatible with the Routers but now it is. Switched to MBR, formatted 2 Partitions (HFS+ and EXT3) and both are recognized and fully useable by the WNDR3700 of a friend of mine!

Greetings Ron
Message 60 of 75
toddmalone
Aspirant

WD MyBook 3TB usb3 does not work. It does not show the correct disk size.
Message 61 of 75
Joe_
Apprentice

toddmalone wrote:
WD MyBook 3TB usb3 does not work.

See post #57 in this thread.
Message 62 of 75
iamjustme
Novice

Message 63 of 75
kemicalbrother
Aspirant

Does this router have USB v1 or v2 Port?

I don't see anyware the specifications of the port.
Message 64 of 75
stevenson_john
Aspirant

I noticed someone had the Seagate 2TB Expansion drive working. Were you able to get media streaming with it (DLNA)? I can see files but not stream using it.
Message 65 of 75
flim
Novice

I am using IB NAS 901 from Raidsonic (ICEBOX). The the network speed of this NAS is smaller than if USB attached in router. It is FAT 32 formatted ( no other option ).

Inside WD Green

But it newer sleeps.While connected not with USB but LAN works perfect but terrible slow speed ( 1,5 Mb ).
Message 66 of 75
jmacfarlanr
Aspirant

I have not yet found a definitive answer on whether you can make 2 partitions on a 3 TB hard drive and have the WNDR3700 be able to use 1 or both of the partitions.

Does this work? Are both partitions accessible as network shares? Can 1 or both partitions be used as /readyshares and dlna servers?

Thanks in advance for any who kow!
Message 67 of 75
Temerarius
Aspirant

Anyone know if the Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB Desktop External Hard Drive (STCA2000100) works?

It's the newer version of the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2 TB External Hard Drive (STAC2000100) which they list as a known good drive for the WNDR3700.

I gave a go on the Seagate Expansion Desktop External Hard Drive STBV (2000100) and got nothing. The you can see the drive in the USB Setting menu (well, kinda... it reports it as 746.51 GB), but does not appear available in the USB Storage menu.

Very irritating. NetGear needs to refresh their firmware to support these newer and larger drives (as the older ones are getting harder and more expensive to find).
Message 68 of 75
suezuki650
Aspirant

RocketJSquirrel wrote:
Seagate "Expansion" 2 TB desktop USB drive with AC power. $90 at Fry's.

I chose this very vanilla drive because it is plug'n'play with no driver required (and it's dirt cheap). It came preformatted with NTFS.

Write speed is slow (megabits, not gigabits), but aside from that it works flawlessly with my WNDR3700v2.

I have the v3 version and just purchased the Seagate Expansion 2TB desktop drive.

It works fine connected to my PC, but when I connect it to the router it appears as if nothing is connected or powered up. What did you do to make it work?

Sue
Message 69 of 75
suezuki650
Aspirant

Router Model WNDR3700v3

Seagate expansion 2TB Desktop drive

All I get is "make sure a USB disk is plugged into router's USB port and try again.

It works fine when connected to a PC, but I can't get past this problem when trying to configure ReadySHARE. Any ideas?

Sue
Message 70 of 75
Diver4242
Aspirant

Did anyone get the Seagate Backup Plus 2TB USB 3 external drive to work? I see the 4TB model on the list so this is essentially the same drive, just less capacity. When I connect it, the USB light comes on my C6300, but it's never recognized in the browser admin page and not on the network (just an empty READYSHARE in my Networks list on Windows 7. It works fine when I connect it to any windows PC. It was previously connected to a Mac but I reformatted it with NTFS. Kind of frustrated!
Message 71 of 75
Diver4242
Aspirant

I changed this Seagate Backup Plus 2TB drive to MBR and EXFAT and created folders for music and pictures and copied files to them (using my Win7 PC) then reconnected it to the C6300 and still no dice. It doesn't require any special drivers and works fine on any PC I try it on, it's a fairly new drive. Why doesn't it work with the C6300? Anything else I can try?
Message 72 of 75
Diver4242
Aspirant

Finally got it working. The magic combination was to use MBR for partition and NTFS for the format and then it finally worked. PBT + NTFS didn't work and MBR + EXFAT didn't work.
Message 73 of 75
vanight
Aspirant

WNDR3700v4 with V1.0.2.78

Brand New 5TB Seagate Expansion USB 3.0-2.0:

Just arrived today, after getting past a botched firmware upgrade. I was able to get back up using the tftp2 method. I figured all the new readyshare improvements, my drive would work.

My understanding is that it should recognize over 2TB with this firmware.

The Drive Doesn't even show up....

Does anyone know of a small black box wifi DLNA / NAS server that allows connection of USB 3.0 drives and basically does what readshare trys to do miserably?
Message 74 of 75
vanight
Aspirant

WNDR3700V4 - V1.0.2.78

Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive:

Works: NO.

Well, Not really, shows up if I power cycle, but showing some strange 128MB volume. Then it goes away before I can configure anything.

Formatted with NTFS - default block size
Message 75 of 75
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E