Highlighted
Luminary

Using A Linksys WRT54GS As A Switch

Having read various posts on the difficulty of connecting a downstream router to an upstream router, I decided to take the plunge and find out for myself just how difficult is this process. As it turns out, it's not very difficult at all.

I already had a CAT6 cable running directly into my Denon receiver from the WNDR3700, but never really gave much thought about giving the Samsung TV network access, mostly because it's an older TV with 4 basic network functions:

_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Using A Linksys WRT54GS As A Switch

Your setup no different than regular AP setup
#2,6 would have no effect if you changed or not since value is for WAN and not for LAN
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Luminary

You're correct. I just felt better with them set that way. Smiley Happy
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Luminary

Forgot to mention, I did drift from a regular AP setup since I don't use dynamic assignments. So, it actually made it easier. Smiley Happy
_____
Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Guide

MTU and Firewall settings probably make no difference.
What do you mean "Downstream? router"... Do you mean a "Downmarket"/"slow" router to a "upmarket"/"fastish" router?
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Novice

Devor,

Consider using Tomato, not necessarily the latest, but an older 9054 beta is quite stable/good. That way you have access to ALL 5 ports+bandwidth monitoring.

If VLAN is needed and features such as bandwidth controls, you can make it into a SMART switch+AP by using the later/latest versions of Tomato or dd-wrt. However, I don't recommend openwrt/gargoyle...
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Not all wrt54gs supported right? Usually specific V# is need it?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Novice

I believe for the wrt54g/gs series, anything greater than v4 is not compatible w/ 3rd party firmware, UNLESS you wish to use dd-wrt micro & possibly needing bootloader replacement as well.
Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I know I have WRT54G and it had to pretty specific for tomato. Smiley HappySmiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Novice

Actually, if you've got a $150-$200 -N, "advanced" Broadcom-based router, you'll need the latest versions of Shibby OR Toastman Tomato Mods. They add ALOT of great features that Netgear & others wouldn't or couldn't otherwise add.

My next -AC router that I buy MUST be at least compatible w/ Tomato....Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements