Using WNDR3700 as base with repeater

oli4
Aspirant

Using WNDR3700 as base with repeater

Hi all.

I use my WNDR3700 as wlan router with WPA2-PSK encryption for all wlan Networks (a/b/gn) -> works well!

To cover some lost spots in my appartment, I recently bought a wlan repeater and tried to setup the wlan with the repeater today. Now the WNDR3700 menu tells me, that I have to go back to WEP encryption if I want to use this device as wlan base station with a repeater... ist that really true? I tried to setup my wlan repeater (hama) without any changes on the WNDR3700 but this does not really work fine...

Best regards, Olivier
Message 1 of 8
WizardJ
Luminary

Re: Using WNDR3700 as base with repeater

oli4 wrote:
Now the WNDR3700 menu tells me, that I have to go back to WEP encryption if I want to use this device as wlan base station with a repeater... ist that really true?

Correct. WEP (and 54 Mbit/s mode), or no encryption and any mode. Those are the options when using WDS with the stock firmware.

However, WDS works fine with WPA on DD-WRT. There are DD-WRT builds out there for the WNDR3700, so read up on that and you should be able to get it going. Smiley Happy
8/1 Mbit/s ADSL

Router: D-Link DIR-615

Wired AP: Netgear WNR1000v2
Message 2 of 8
oli4
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Am I right, that I don't necessarily have to use WDS for repeating the WLAN? I'm asking, because I already bought a repeater (HAMA), but I so far the results are very disappointing (very strong WLAN signal but very poor Internet Connection... until it gets lost totally).

Since I absoluteley want to use encryption, WDS is not an option for me. But basically, repeating should be working anway, isn't it? Is there a repater that works fine with the WNDR3700? (w/o WDS)
Message 3 of 8
oli4
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Am I right, that I don't necessarily have to use WDS for repeating the WLAN? I'm asking, because I already bought a repeater (HAMA), but I so far the results are very disappointing (very strong WLAN signal but very poor Internet Connection... until it gets lost totally).

Since I absoluteley want to use encryption, WDS is not an option for me. But basically, repeating should be working anway, isn't it?

Is it correct that a repater should also work without WDS?

Is there a repater that works fine with the WNDR3700? (w/o WDS)

Can WDS used with WEP with more recent models of Netgear Routers?
Message 4 of 8
Fairytail
Virtuoso

WDS will only work with WEP or no encryption and this is true with all NETGEAR routers even with the new models. If you want to use a higher security option you can purchase a range extender that does not need WDS function. Here's the link for some information:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/
Message 5 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I so far the results are very disappointing (very strong WLAN signal but very poor Internet Connection... until it gets lost totally).

Not only you are limited to WEP/54Mbps or no security, traffic is half duplex.

Extender would be better choice or try in run ethernet cable to remote location.

You can expect to get performance over choose connivence of not running ethernet cable. Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 8
oli4
Aspirant

Unfortunatley, I cannot have a wired connection. So since the repeater does not work, is a new router the only possibility?
Message 7 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Extender Ex.wn2500rp
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 8