Highlighted
Novice

Using a WNDR4500 Router and 2 WNDR4500v2 AP's

I have a total of 3 Netgear WNDR4500's

- WNDR4500 (Firmware V1.0.1.40_1.0.68) as my main router connected to the cable modem. I have had this router for 18 months now and it has performed flawlessly
- WNDR4500v2 (Firmware V1.0.0.56_1.0.36) as an AP. It has performed flawlessly
- Second WNDR4500v2 (Firmware V1.0.0.56_1.0.36) as a second AP. Here is where the problems start.

I need this many to cover a large home with 3 levels and 2 home offices.

All router/APs are at the latest available software releases and the AP's are connected using a LAN ports rather than the WAN port and have the same SSID/password/parameters with one each on channels 1, 6, and 11. I can connect and manage each one over the wired network.

I have been running the router and the first access point for a few months without issue.

The issue happens when I connect the second AP to the network. It prevents me from connecting to any of the access points with my Apple devices. The Apple device waits a while, then re-prompts for the password. I enter it again, and it indicates wrong password.

It does not matter if the WIFI is turned on or off on the second AP or not. However, as soon as I unplug the second AP from the network, I can log into the router of first AP.

I would not expect a second AP on the network to affect the WIFI login, especially if the WIFI on the second AP is turned off. All I can think of is that there is some configuration value that I need to change on one of the AP's to distinguish them from each other on the wired side.

I am open to ideas.

Paul
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Using a WNDR4500 Router and 2 WNDR4500v2 AP's

Your setup should work OK, but it does depend on client devices playing properly. In this case I suggest that you try using different SSIDs for the router / APs.
Highlighted
Novice

The IOS clients work great with the router and one access point.

While troubleshooting with the second AP turned on and plugged into the network, but the WiFi disabled using the button, my whole network became overloaded. All my wired devices were acting strangely, but recovered as soon as I unplugged the network cable from the second AP.

I have been very careful with the setups and today even went through and did factory resets on both the AP's and set them up again from scratch. Still the problem is there when the second AP is connected to the network.

I am starting to suspect there is a fault with the unit because it doesn't make sense that it doesn't work even if the WiFi is turned off on the second AP.

Paul
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Novice

I tried this with another (third) WNDR4500V2 and I get the same results where I cannot logon when the second AP is connected to the network, regardless of whether the WIFI on that AP is turned on or off.

At least I ruled out hardware, so we are down to software/configuration.

Any ides to try on the configuration front?

Paul
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Novice

I still have the issue.

Please advise what to try next.

Thanks

Paul
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Have you tried just the 2nd AP connected to the router and 1st AP is turned off if has the same problem? How many devices are connected overall? And is the 2nd AP connected to the 1st AP?
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks Minions.

If I disconnect AP1 and leave AP2 connected, I can log on with no problem. This seems to confirm some interaction between the 2 AP's.

Overall I have about 25 devices connected.

I have tried both configurations (Router->AP1->AP2 and AP1<-Router->AP2) with the same results.

Paul
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Novice

The only other suggestion I have received outside this forum is to load DD-WRT software, but that is not my preference.

Any other suggestions before a cave and load DD-WRT?

Paul
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Can you set static IPs on each of the APs? just to make sure that they are getting same range.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements