× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPNFilter malware

BillS68
Star

VPNFilter malware

Hi,

Does anyone know what NetGear routers are affected by the VPNFilter malware that is out in the wild?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

All Replies
BillS68
Star

Thanks Johnny 🙂

Message 3 of 12

Message 4 of 12
netpert
Aspirant

Please follow the advice from Cisco/Talos. Seriously.

Netgear advice will really not help you. I seriously doubt they know what they are talking about. Just an upgrade will not help here if your device is already compromised. It is also laughable to see such advice when the exploit itself is unknown.

Message 5 of 12
BillS68
Star

Seriously, I know who's advice to rely on.

If everyone checked and updated their routers they would not be at risk of getting this Malware, as stated by Netgear.

I was only after the routers affected, not advice on what to do, after all I run a IT Security company.... 🙂

Message 6 of 12

@BillS68 wrote:

I was only after the routers affected, not advice on what to do, after all I run a IT Security company.... 🙂

I am well impressed, but remember that these messages are not private conversations. There are ordinary mortals here who don't have PhDs in computer security.

Message 7 of 12
BillS68
Star

I know that but my original question was about the routers affected and not anything to do about how to remove or handle the Malware and that was the point I was making to the post I replied to. 

Message 8 of 12
Johnny1914
Guide

No problem bill. It’s my first answer I get a solution 😊😝
Message 9 of 12
dwpenn
Star

One major news outlet listed the Netgear R7000 apparently enough are out of those to make what looked like the top ten list of router brands and major models affected. No way to really know how much truth they had in it in this world of fake news........ Dean

Message 10 of 12
ajpinto01
Aspirant

Sorry in advance for the novice question. I have the R7000. I've seen several articles advising to reset router to factory conditions then reinstall. I hit the reset button on my router then launched the Nighthawk app on my phone to start setting it up. Everything came right back just as I had set it up without me having to change anything.
Am I good to go? The three things the article says to do (maintain updated firmware, change default PW, and don't allow remote access) I've already done.
Everything is working well so I want to check in with some experts before I start "breaking my router".
Thanks for the advice,
AJ
Message 11 of 12
Johnny1914
Guide

I held the reset button for over 30 seconds when it restarted I got everything new. Try it again holding down for 30 seconds. My opinion
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7