× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Virtual walk-through of router settings

justinnnn
Tutor

Virtual walk-through of router settings

Hello,

Can I request: that every time NETGEAR release a version of a router, they upload a virtual copy of the local settings wizard to their public website, IDENTICAL to the one that the customer will be logging in to.

You have no freaking idea how many times people ring their ISP to get help with their settings, and.. amazingly, the ISP employee has NO IDEA WHAT THE CUSTOMER IS LOOKING AT (unless they get into their car and go and buy every modem from a store!).

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

I guess they could but how many routers would have you them place on the service I am not with netgear by the way just a netgear user?

There would have to be a cutoff point they would have to stop the size of the files stored and time t keep them update would be huge. Would this be a paid service or free?

Sounds like a good idea and may be one day in the future it will happen.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
William10a
Master

I guess they could but how many routers would have you them place on the service I am not with netgear by the way just a netgear user?

There would have to be a cutoff point they would have to stop the size of the files stored and time t keep them update would be huge. Would this be a paid service or free?

Sounds like a good idea and may be one day in the future it will happen.

Message 2 of 7

Most devices have the same path in to the router settings. So one generic flow chart would get most models.

The settings that an ISP can advise on are limited because there aren't that many variations beyond the password and username.

I have looked at other brands too and it is usually down to tweaking a single page of settings.

Message 3 of 7
William10a
Master

From what I have seen it is true that most routers share a common path but when you add third part firmware and other special purpose apps for cameras and other devices the picture changes.

Message 4 of 7

@William10a wrote:

...when you add third part firmware ...

You expect Netgear to explain how to do that?

Message 5 of 7
William10a
Master

No even it sounds simple to have sample set up page there are going to be cases were the firmware and other programs can make it hard to do. May be around 80 percent can use a simple layout sheet if the person at the isp's call center knows what they are doing.

Message 6 of 7
TheEther
Guru

There's always screenshots.portforward.com, which I find useful from time to time.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7