Re: Vista laptop won't connect to WNR2000v3 WPA

adub
Aspirant

Vista laptop won't connect to WNR2000v3 WPA

Good morning,
I have two laptops that I'm trying to connect to my Netgear WNR2000v3 router with WPA-PSK security. The laptop running on XP connects fine, but the laptop on Vista cannot get connected. When I look at my router log, whenever my Vista tries to connect, it says "WLAN Access rejected: incorrect security" followed by the MAC address of my Vista laptop wireless connection.

I know for certain that the passphrase is entered correctly. I can connect with the Vista with an Ethernet cable or if I take off all security or switch to WEP encryption.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the network adapter, assigning it a manual IP address, ensured MAC address filtering was off on the router, uninstalled IPv6, reset the winsock, etc. Nothing seems to work and I would rather not revert back to WEP encryption.

I initially tried setting the router up with WPA2 security but couldn't get the Vista to work on that either. It appeared to connect but I would get "Local Access only" which appears to be a common Vista issue. Since I was replacing another Netgear router that was setup with WPA and connected to the Vista, I decided to try to get this new router to connect to the Vista as well with WPA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Message 1 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

It appeared to connect but I would get "Local Access only" which appears to be a common Vista issue.

try using ISP DNS server on pc side using with WPA2 and see
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 17
adub
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately, I'm not advanced enough to know what you mean 🙂 How do I find my ISP's DNS server and once I have it, what do I need to do with it on my laptop after switching back over to WPA2 on the router? Thanks!
Message 3 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Network properties PC under tcp/ip properties.

You will make provide DNS info their
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 17
adub
Aspirant

I switched the router back to WPA2 security and added my ISPs DNS Servers to the DNS settings in IPv4 on the Vista laptop. It still shows that it connects to the router but with Local Only access, as it still says it is an Unidentified network.
Message 5 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

same with WPA with same way?

off-course NO mac filter should be used 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 17
adub
Aspirant

Yeah, I tried first with WPA after entering the DNS but it still gave me the "WLAN Access rejected: incorrect security" message in the log and rejected me from logging onto the routher, so then switched to WPA2 and and could connect to the router supposedly but Local Access only.

Correct, no MAC filtering is being used.
I appreciate your continued assistance.
Message 7 of 17
adub
Aspirant

Thanks for your assistance.

It turns out is was my Atheros AR5007 adapter. I had uninstalled/reinstalled twice and told it to update driver, but it never found a new one. I then went out and manually searched for a new driver and found one, installed it, and now I'm up and running. Thanks.
Message 8 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I was going to say about the adapter too but you figure it out.. good for you 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 17
plaske
Novice

Can I ask where you found the driver? I have the same problem. Windows says my driver is up to date. What site did you use to install a new one?
Thanks for your help!
Message 10 of 17
Kneehole
Aspirant

I need the same info. Thanks.
Message 11 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Go to atheros site.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 17
plaske
Novice

If you are going to be a senior member of the forum, and post responses, you should at least take the time to know what you are talking about. The real Atheros site is http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/ I have never been able to find drivers there. I don't have this problem anymore since I switched out the hardware. But for the guy who just posted, he might want to know the real site that has a driver that works.

Just sayin'!
Message 13 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

plaske wrote:
If you are going to be a senior member of the forum, and post responses, you should at least take the time to know what you are talking about. The real Atheros site is http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/ I have never been able to find drivers there. I don't have this problem anymore since I switched out the hardware. But for the guy who just posted, he might want to know the real site that has a driver that works.

Just sayin'!

whatever.. take your attitude somewhere. I have not time deal use like you
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 14 of 17
Scubbie
Apprentice

For reference I find that the manufacturer of my Laptop (Toshiba) has the most up to date drivers for my LAN & WiFi adaptors.

If I search the chipset manufacturer's site for the WiFi adaptor (Realtek), I find that I can't get any information other than where or not there is one available.

Another way is to search the Internet for the specific model's firmware. This can sometime reap useful results.

Very often the M$ Windows update site does not have the latest updates for many hardware devices, so I tend not to rely on it.
Message 15 of 17
glshub
Aspirant

I am having about the same problem. Where should I try and download the updated driver?

My laptop will work with ethernet cable installed. Would it be the driver?

I am just trying to upgrade routers to have security. My system worked fine with old non secure router. I don't understand why everything from smartphones to laptops all work fine except for the vista one. It works fine on other router.

Think I have a driver problem or something else?

Thanks in advance.
Message 16 of 17
Scubbie
Apprentice

You will need to identify the make and model of your WiFi adaptor first. Also make a note of the current Driver date and version number. This information is available in the 'Device Manager' section in M$ windows.

Once you have done this, visit the manufacturer's web site to see if there are any updates available. Some Laptop manufacturers also host the latest updates for their products too, so it might be work check there as well.

If non of that helps, use Google to search the web for drivers. Be careful though and ensure that you scan any such drivers for nasties.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E