× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAC510 Slow speeds

DonaldMathisen
Aspirant

WAC510 Slow speeds

Hi,

I recently bought a used WAC510 because the new ones aren't available at the moment.  I had a hard time accessing the config page through a browser and finally got it connected through the Insight app. I'm running W10 on a PC, the AP is connected directly to a BR500 Router. Firmware is 9.1.0.13, Right now it's mounted on a wall in a half level basement.  

When I stand right in front of it I get 225Mbps speed which is what I pay for through Comcast. If I move 10' away, it drops to 150Mbps, If I'm 10' away with a wall in between, it's 80Mbps.  2 walls and 10' away and it drops to 50Mbps. I would imagine it will perform better mounted on the ceiling but the way it's acting I don't see it getting alot better

Does this seem normal?  Is it defective? 

Thanks,

Don

Model: WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: WAC510 Slow speeds

What device are you testing on?

What link speed do you have? A 1x1 antenna device is going to have half the link speed of a 2x2 antenna device. 

You also have to keep in mind the speeds drop off faster with 5ghz because it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials as 2.4ghz. 

And 2.4ghz is much slower than 5ghz. 

You can log into the wac510's user interface and see utilization of bandwidth on it. 

You can also check if anything is setup like bandsteering (moves devices between 2.4ghz and 5ghz as needed)

You can check rate limits, etc. 

With it being used, there could be many different settings configurated on it that could cause lower speeds. did you ever start with a factory reset on it to clear any of the old settings? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WAC510.aspx

Message 2 of 6
DonaldMathisen
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. 

I did start with a Factory reset and have the Bandsterring enables.  I'll check the link speed and report back. I can also try using just one of the bands and see how it affects speed.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
DonaldMathisen
Aspirant

This device was too problematic so I went to return it. The seller just refunded me my money back which tells me that it wasn't working for him either. Does Netgear have an exchange for out of warranty devices? Thanks

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

They don't.
Message 5 of 6
dellis75
Aspirant

I installed 4 of these in my home and found my wireless speeds were well below acceptable no matter how far or how close to the access point. I tried every setting with no change. I finally downgraded from firmware V9.1.0.13 to v9.0.0.021 and speeds are now what they should be. 

Model: WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7