× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAC730 / WAC720 Can't get past login after firmware update and SSH not enabled

ticedoff8
Aspirant

WAC730 / WAC720 Can't get past login after firmware update and SSH not enabled

This has been the subject of at least 2 other posts that are now closed.

I have the same problem:

I set my password 2 years ago using an 8 charator password that includeds a colon (the charactor -> : <- ).

The colon charactor is now an invalid charactor to be used in the password as of the lastest firmware (WAC720-730_firmware_V3.9.1.0.zip).

I didn't know that before I updated and now I cannot log into the web page using any password.

I do not have SSH enabled either.

However, I do have a Cisco serial cable, PuTTY software and a USB-serial adapter for my PC (Windows 10 - but the USB adapter works with Linux & MacOS).

So, I logged into the WAC720's serial port (115200, 8, n 1) using the "admin" user and my original password (that still contains the : ).

Here is what scared me:

ng-wac720# set system password NewPassword2019
dman: [Cluster] Password is different from default password
ng-wac720#

It turns out "dman: [Cluster] Password is different from default password" is normal(??).

I assume it is reminding you that the the running-config is now different from the startup-config and you need to save the new running-config (with the new password) before you log out.

Go figure.

This process works:

Log in through the serial console (or SSH) using something like PuTTY (COM17 on my PC):

ng-wac720 login: admin
Password:      <-- You type in your original password, there is no echo

To retain the configuration between reboots, make sure you copy the running configuration file to the startup configuration file after you have completed all your changes.

Enter 'help' for help.

ng-wac720#

ng-wac720# set system password Password2020
dman: [Cluster] Password is different from default password
ng-wac720# save-running
dman: The AP startup configuration was updated successfully.
ng-wac720# exit

ng-wac720 login:

Now, when you log in through the serial console, SSH or the web interface as admin and the new password lets you in.

So, even though I saved the config.xml before I did the update, I didn't have to reset to the factory defaults to fix it.

Model: WAC720|2x2 Wireless-AC Access Points
Message 1 of 2

Re: WAC730 / WAC720 Can't get past login after firmware update and SSH not enabled

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk). (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for the WAC720. That's probably here:

Business Wireless - NETGEAR Communities

I have asked the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7