WD TV Live playing large file from R6400 READYSHARE

svb71
Aspirant

WD TV Live playing large file from R6400 READYSHARE

I found an issue with readyshare feature implemented in R6400 router. Here are some observations.

1. Upon playing large files >2Gb my WD TV Live freezes. Sometime it reports that it can not play the file and sometime it just freezes and I have to restart the device.

2. I do not use DLNA

3. I tried both USB2 and 3  - same result.

4. Firmware has been updated - no difference.

Any ideas?

Otherwise I will have to return it.

P.S.: Why my old wndr3400 does not have this issue and new one does? Does it mean that the programmers became drummer or lazier?

Message 1 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: WD TV Live playing large file from R6400 READYSHARE

Hi @svb71,

1. Have you tried using a different storage device (another HDD or flash drive)?

2. Does the issue happen when streaming on all devices or on a specific device only?

3. Are you streaming while wired to the router or through wireless?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 7
svb71
Aspirant

1. I tried flash drive - similar result. WD TV just freezes randomly or start playing next file without finishing previouse one. Sometime WD TV says that the media is not supported.

2. I tried using my Smart TV (I had to use DLNA feature of the router). It worked for a while - then it stopped and TV could not play the video files saying it is not supported.

3. Wired only

Message 3 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @svb71,

Are connecting the HDD to the USB port of the router or to the USB port of the WD TV?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 7
svb71
Aspirant

The USB HDD (WD MyBook 4TB) is connected to the router USB3 port. Other devices (TV set and WD TV) are connected to the router via LAN ports. NB: same conficguretion (including wires) works just fine with my old WNDR 3400.

Message 5 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @svb71,

I suggest performing a firmware re-flash then reset and reconfigure the router and see if the issue persists. You may refer to the links below for the steps. If the issue is still there, try downgrading the firmware so that we can isolate the problem.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 7
svb71
Aspirant

Hi,

I followed your suggestions and reset the router and updated the firmware.

After that I disconnected it from all the devices (i.e. cable modem, switched off wireless, TV) but WD TV and USB HDD. Everything was working fine.

However, as soon as I configured the router and connected to all my devices the problem returned. Again, unexoectedly my WD TV siops playing the file and reports that either the source (HDD) was disconnected or the media file is not supported. It is weired. I will be returning the router tomorrow.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements