WGR614 v6 DC Problems

aznboi209
Aspirant

WGR614 v6 DC Problems

I have a 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614 v6. It is connected with my DSL modem. There would be disconnections like 2-3 times a day, sometimes even more... I've had this wireless router for about 4-5 years..

When I play games or surf the internet, i can hear the wireless router making a very high pitch noise and then my internet dcs. Does this mean the wireless router is faulty? PLease help!
Message 1 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WGR614 v6 DC Problems

time for new router... internal capacitor is going out.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 8
aznboi209
Aspirant

So, can I just buy the same wireless router and just plug it in. Do i need to do any changes? I never installed a wireless router before.
Message 3 of 8
Joe_
Apprentice

Technically, yes you can buy the same router "and just plug it in."

54 Mps is a "g" router. Seeing that the router is 4-5 years old, you may have some difficulty in finding the same model in stores now. It appears that you raised this concern because you want a seamless and trouble-free transition to a new router.

Many current routers now have:

- 802.11n speed of 145 or 300 Mps (though 145 Mps may be the better choice if there are nearby networks).

- 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands (ie. either simultaneous or selectable dual-band).

- Gigabit or Fast LAN ports (ie. for hard-wiring).

The above are just a few features in new routers. I would suggest you do some research and read reviews when you go shopping. You shouldn't have any problems with a newer router.

Some router's are more user-friendly for installing and adjusting settings. Although you should be alright once you carefully follow the Setup Instructions that comes with the new router.

The "wizard" should lead you thru all the configurations that you need to enter. It shouldn't be too hard - even for a first time setup.

However, NEVER leave your network on the factory default unsecured settings.

Good luck! 🙂
Message 4 of 8
aznboi209
Aspirant

I found a WGR614 v10 on newegg. I think I'mma buy that!
Message 5 of 8
aznboi209
Aspirant

I found 2 products that I want to buy.

Netgear WGR614 Wireless-g
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122016

NETGEAR WNR1000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122320

Which one should I buy? and which one is better?
Message 6 of 8
Joe_
Apprentice

For 6 bucks more the WNR1000 has, among other things, 802.11n at 150 Mps. So based on value for features I'd say it has the edge.

If these 2 routers are what falls within your budget, then fine.

However, everyone must make up their own mind on what suits them tho.

You will be well advised to spend some time reading their reviews, not least of which, are what actual users had to say. I would think that one of the foremost things to try and figure is what users feel about reliability. 🙂
Message 7 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

decision should be based on the actual WIFI device's 802.11 protocol.

if you have good amount of 802.11B/G wifi devices then staying with WGR might a good idea.

N router is backward compatible with 802.11B/G but not all will work well under N router specially using N mode

If you have mix 802.11N and 802.11B/G wifi devices to connected, worth scenario is to to use both router and setup WGR as an access point to isolate the 802.11B/G to connect with ease....

some to think about
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos