× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WGR614v7 for use as wireless access point

DavidMW45
Tutor

WGR614v7 for use as wireless access point

I want to configure a WGR614v7 for use as a wireless access point in my garden studio. There is an ethernet cable from the main router in the house. I need to have ethernet ports as well as wi-fi and I hope the WGR614v7 will do what I need, but I need to reconfigure it.

I'm not able to access the configuration page. If I enter 192.168.1.1 into my browser it either produces no result, or it takes me to routerlogin.com which tells me I'm not connected to my router's wi-fi - which I am!

It seems to me that routerlogin.com is not enabled to handle this old router. Please can you advise exactly how I can access the configuration page?

Thanks.

Model: WGR614-7VCNAS|WGR614-7VCNAS
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DavidMW45
Tutor

Just as a follow up, the new WAC104 works fine, but as with the WGR614 I had great difficulty accessing the setup page. This eventually turned out to be down to the antivirus software blocking access. Once I'd disabled this, I was able to get in and set a decent password for the wi-fi.

Quite possibly I'd have been able to re-configure the WGR614 as an access point if I'd realised this sooner! If I've nothing better to do I'll give it a go!

Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I'm not able to access the configuration page. [...]

When you connect what, exactly, to what, exactly, how, exactly?

If you connect nothing to the WGR614v7 except (its power adapter and)
a computer to one of its LAN Ethernet ports, then it should work as
described in its documentation.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get some.  Read.

> I want to configure a WGR614v7 for use as a wireless access point
> [...]

As I read its documentation, your antique doesn't have a WAP mode
option, so you'll need to use a procedure like the one at:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1463500

That's written for a Netgear C6300-as-WAP, but the steps are about the
same for any other router (any make/model) which lacks a one-step WAP
option.  If the router which you're reconfiguring has a WAN/Internet
Ethernet port (unlike a Cxxxx), then leave it unconnected.

Message 2 of 7
DavidMW45
Tutor

Thanks for the advice. I found the process of accessing the configuration page and making the necessary changes altogether too challenging, and wasn't confident of achieving the results I need. I've ordered a dedicated Wi-Fi access point from Netgear.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 7
DavidMW45
Tutor

Just as a follow up, the new WAC104 works fine, but as with the WGR614 I had great difficulty accessing the setup page. This eventually turned out to be down to the antivirus software blocking access. Once I'd disabled this, I was able to get in and set a decent password for the wi-fi.

Quite possibly I'd have been able to re-configure the WGR614 as an access point if I'd realised this sooner! If I've nothing better to do I'll give it a go!

Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 7

@DavidMW45 wrote:

This eventually turned out to be down to the antivirus software blocking access.

Good feedback.

Which software? Have you alerted them to the grief they caused you?

Message 5 of 7
DavidMW45
Tutor

It's ESET Cyber Security for Mac. Yes, I've alerted them to the issue and they don't seem to have a solution. Once you know the cause it's easy to work round it by disabling the anti-virus, or creating an exception.

It's a pity it took me more than a week and the price of a new WAP to work it out!

Message 6 of 7

@DavidMW45 wrote:

It's a pity it took me more than a week and the price of a new WAP to work it out!

Look on the bright side. Your WAC104 from 2016 is several generations younger than the WGR614v7 which has its roots in 2003. Almost 20th  century.

You now have 5 GHz wifi and 1000 Mbps WAN.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7