WGR614v7 wireless connection help

JoeyBatz
Aspirant

WGR614v7 wireless connection help

I have a WGR614v7 Netgear Router that is having trouble. I'm hoping someone could help. Apologies in advance, by the way, as I know about as much about computers as the Ancient Greeks.

We have the router connected to the downstairs desktop and modem and two laptops that actually get wireless Internet. A few days ago, after about a week of spotty connection, the wireless laptops were cut off from the Internet entirely (the desktop still receives a perfect connection to the Internet). Typing in 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.1, as well as routerlogin.com/net into my Internet browser simply yielded me a "Sorry, but there are 0 results" search page.

A friend recently recommended that I do a soft reset by using a pen to push the little button in the back to restore it to factory setting, but when I came back home to do it, none of the lights on the router were on. It was as if the router was completely unplugged, except that it is plugged in (to both the electrical outlet and the router itself, in case you were wondering if I was one of those idiots). This wasn't a problem a couple days ago, even after I lost Internet completely.

So now I am COMPLETELY baffled on what to do. I don't mind buying a new router if I have to, but first I want to make sure that the problem isn't something that can be solved with a few keystrokes (or, conversely, a problem that a new router still wouldn't resolve). Any help I receive will be reciprocated with a hug and a cookie (maybe not, but I will still be very grateful to anyone who can tell me what the problem is and how to solve it).

Thank you.
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WGR614v7 wireless connection help

remove ALL the cables and power supply.

let it sit for 30min and try power up the router without no cables first.

then try you hard reset again ( also see router reset on my sig below) and hook up all the cables etc.

you WILL loose wireless setting so you will REQUIRE to setup with pc using wired to the router's LAN port
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 5
JoeyBatz
Aspirant

It didn't work. I had the router completely unplugged on both ends and I unplugged the two Internet cables and left it off for about an hour. Plugging it back in didn't do a thing. The lights are still off as if it were unplugged.

The other end of the cable isn't actually plugged directly into the wall, but into a surge protector. Should that be turned off and on as well?
Message 3 of 5
Reckl3ss
Aspirant

Try connecting it in the main power outlet first or try a different power outlet as well. If it still got no lights, try a different power adapter if you have one that has the same specs with the original one. Otherwise, your router probably dead already.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

always BYPASS the strips..

support will also tell you do so 100%. some time that works ... but again if not, it's dead piece
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation