× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIFI not up to Modem speed

Dgottlieb01
Aspirant

WIFI not up to Modem speed

Spectrum states that my Modem is running at 248 MPS currently after they supposedly doubled my speed from 100 to 200 MPS

But my router seems to be only getting up to about 90 MPS

I have updated the firmware with no change.

The router is rated for much more than 90MPS... what can I do to get more speed?

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
wcalifas
Prodigy

Re: WIFI not up to Modem speed

yea netgear falsely saying they're faster. Just found it on amazon's reviews check the 1 star ratings for that router everyone complaining about that. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1000-Router-Ethernet-R6080/dp/B071J24FNY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywor...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
wcalifas
Prodigy

You need to upgrade your router. I think your router r6080 can only give you 100mbps through the wired part, and not sure on the wifi. I think somewhere I read that people were complaining about that router in amazon reviews or bestbuy reviews about that model.

Message 2 of 7
Dgottlieb01
Aspirant

Thanks... so the ratings are not accurate?

TECHNICAL SPECS

• WiFi Technology : 802.11ac
  • WiFi Performance : AC1000 (300 + 700 Mbps)†
Message 3 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

yea netgear falsely saying they're faster. Just found it on amazon's reviews check the 1 star ratings for that router everyone complaining about that. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1000-Router-Ethernet-R6080/dp/B071J24FNY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywor...

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@wcalifas wrote:

yea netgear falsely saying they're faster.

Disagree. The WiFi link rates allow higher speeds, say for talking to multiple (Fast Ethernet only here) LAN ports and the other WiFi band concurrently. Up to here nothing false.

Obvious, the R6080 with it's two AC1000 radios can't go beyond the one and only WAN port which is one of five 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet ports - also clearly part of the specs on the data sheet. So one star is definitively wrong - it does what it can do.

We can dispute if a router with just Fast Ethernet ports is state of the art, however there are still many applications (and Internet connections) out in this world, even 100Mb/s is a dream for many. If we think about the fact that this router does sell for about the cost of a power supply plus some money in electronics and an enclosure cleverly invested..

Doing the same comparison with a top of the line 802.11ac (I'm intentionally not talking WiFi 6 or WiFi 6E - but the same applies here) does show that most of these devices have more aggregated WiFi (and much more on the typically four Gigabit Ethernet ports) capacity is in the 5..7 Gb/s range, while the majority Internet services are still operated on Internet connections physically limited by a single Gigabit Ethernet port - being on the router, being on the ISP CPE. Does any of these routers or ISPs get a one star only for this reason?

Message 5 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

Bla bla bla, it doesn't do what its advertised to do plain and simple, period.
Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@wcalifas wrote:
Bla bla bla, it doesn't do what its advertised to do plain and simple, period.

You are just blinded by the AC1000 marketing term. And the very misleading (and in my opinion wrong) "...Fast download
speeds up to 1000Mbps ...". on p.2 of the https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/R6080.pdf

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7