WNDR 3300 V1 wireless range option

eskiver
Aspirant

WNDR 3300 V1 wireless range option

I just set up a channel that makes Mbps jump from 20 to 10 to 2 or lower. Do I have to keep messing with channels if i want this number higher or is there a spec. channel that it should be set to for highest number achievible. Distance 150Ft from source,, Was thinking of putting in the attic for distance will that work too
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR 3300 V1 wireless range option

150ft is challenging for most part if you are not in CLEAR line a sight. With all the obstacle of wall , structures it will reduce the signal strength and other wireless that around you will cause the erratic behavior.

only channel on 2.4Ghz should be used is 1,6,11,13 (13 for ASIA/EUROPE)
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 4
Joe_
Apprentice

eskiver wrote:
Do I have to keep messing with channels if i want this number higher or is there a spec. channel that it should be set to for highest number achievible. Distance 150Ft from source,, Was thinking of putting in the attic for distance will that work too

The WNDR3300 seems to have some wierd choices in the settings. Take for instance the following from the online PDF Manual:

◦Mode. This field determines which 802.11 data communications protocol is used. You can select one of the following modes:

■Up to 270 Mbps at 2.4 GHz

■Up to 270 Mbps at 5 GHz and 54 Mbps at 2.4 GHz. This is the default mode.

■Up to 130 Mbps at 2.4 GHz

■Up to 130 Mbps at 5 GHz and 54 Mbps at 2.4 GHz

The following information might help you to decide which mode to select:

■Up To 54 Mbps. Legacy mode, for compatibility with the slower 802.11b and 802.11g wireless devices.

■Up To 130 Mbps. Neighbor Friendly mode, for reduced interference with neighboring wireless networks. Provides two transmission streams with different data on the same channel at the same time, but also allows 802.11b and 802.11g wireless devices.

■Up To 270 Mbps. Performance mode, using channel expansion to achieve the 270 Mbps data rate. The WNDR3300 router uses the channel you selected as the primary channel and expands to the secondary channel (primary channel +4 or -4) to achieve a 40 MHz frame-by-frame bandwidth. The WNDR3300 router detects channel usage and disables frame-by-frame expansion if the expansion would result in interference with the data transmission of other access points or clients.

Note: The maximum wireless signal rate is derived from the IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications. Actual data throughput will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, building materials and construction, and network overhead, lower actual data throughput rate.

◦11N Channel or 11G Channel. These fields determine which operating frequency is used for the 11N or 11G wireless networks. It should not be necessary to change the wireless channel unless you notice interference problems with another nearby wireless network. For more information about the wireless channel frequencies, click the link to the online document Wireless Networking Basics.

Generally, the router should automatically detect and set the best channel for you. This, I imagine, is not foolproof. If you are encountering problems with the channels automatically selected for you, I suppose you could change it to see if an improvement is possible. I would advise scanning with inSSIDer to help you rather than "blindly" switching channels.

I see June has already advised you re 150 ft. distance and 2.4 GHz channel choices, so I wouldn't add to that. Personally, I wouldn't put the router in the attic though. Some of my reasons are:

- There are times you may need to have direct physical access to the router. It being in the attic will not make access easy.

- Attics tend to be hot, stuffy places where ventillation and a good air-flow may be a problem. This is not conducive to good router operation as IMHO routers should not be placed in drawer, cupboards or other places the doesn't have good ventilation.

- Attics tend to be dusty places. Too much dust build-up inside the router could lead to all sorts of problems and perhaps even premature failure.
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

type of wireless mode choice would not enhance on N router in distance

54Mbps may help but all in all distance you are doing is the worth scenario
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-