Re: WNDR 3400 V2 Best Setup and Faster Speeds?

Andrew102281
Aspirant

WNDR 3400 V2 Best Setup and Faster Speeds?

I have a Netgear WNDR 3400 V2 and I'm working the best setup for all my devices.Should I put all my older devices on my 2.4 Ghz network and all newer stuff on the 5 Ghz?or should I shift everything to the 5 Ghz?Do I need a different router?

I use a laptop,Ipad,desktop,portable house,cell phones and Xbox 360 so not everything has wireless N.I will say I want my Xbox 360 to be running with no lag.

Also,how do I get more speed out of my router when I have Comcast 50 MB Download?I get 50+ MBPS Hard lined into my laptop but only 33-34 MBPS wireless.I turned off QQS and WMM and that seems to help a little.

Thanks for the help.
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Run a cable for xbox make sure all wireless is WPA2 and leave WMM enabled.
Message 2 of 4
WizardJ
Luminary

Andrew102281 wrote:
Should I put all my older devices on my 2.4 Ghz network and all newer stuff on the 5 Ghz?

You hit the nail on the head. Absolutely you should try to balance the network load over both the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks as much as you can. I would say always use 5 GHz on devices that are within the range of that network. I would like to get more use out of the 5 GHz on my own router, but I have no devices that are in range all the time.
Andrew102281 wrote:
Do I need a different router?

Since you mentioned you are getting a 50 Mbit/s incoming speed when wired, I suppose that's the Internet speed you're paying for. This router takes care of that speed just fine, no need to upgrade in my opinion.
Andrew102281 wrote:
I get 50+ MBPS Hard lined into my laptop but only 33-34 MBPS wireless.I turned off QQS and WMM and that seems to help a little.

Tweaking WMM/QoS is a great thing. Helps alot sometimes. Try switching the wireless channels of both the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, see if you notice any difference. Try running speedtests both far away and close to the router. I think 50 Mbit/s should be an easy output for your router if you make sure to put the Mode under Wireless Settings at Up to 300 Mbps.

If nothing else, it may be that the router just doesn't have an enough penetrating Wi-Fi radio for your home, and you may need a stronger router, but just judging from your incoming Internet speed, I would say no. 🙂 Update the thread and give us your results. Good luck!
8/1 Mbit/s ADSL

Router: D-Link DIR-615

Wired AP: Netgear WNR1000v2
Message 3 of 4
sabretooth
Apprentice

Don't forget your wireless adpater in your computer can be crappy. I have gone through about four to find one that works great. I have the same router and WMM disabled get the fastest speed. Have moved to a USB adapter that screams.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E