WNDR 3400 v. 2 Router Connectivity

tammye1978
Follower

WNDR 3400 v. 2 Router Connectivity

We are on our second WNDR 3400 v. 2 router. We've had several NetGear routers previously. The same thing always happens. The router works great for 2-3 months. Suddenly, it will not connect to wireless devices. The router name is in our list of routers, but when you try to connect, it says it is unable to connect. It does no good to reboot the router. Usually what happens is that we will reset the router back to factory defaults. It works great for 3-4 days. It loses connectivity again. Rebooting doesn't work. We reset the router. It lasts a few hours. After doing this a few times, it won't even reset. So, we buy a new router. It works for 2-3 months, and starts the same thing all over again. We purchased our current router in January. Less than 3 weeks ago, it stopped connecting to the wireless devices (two laptops and an iPad). I rebooted it, but that didn't help of course. I was tired and frustrated and went to bed. The next morning it was working fine. It worked for two days and stopped working again. I rebooted, but of course nothing happened. I left it for two days, and it started working out of the blue. It has worked for two weeks. Last night, it stopped working yet again. I am tempted to reset it, but I feel sure that it will only work for a few days and go down again, and we will start this vicious cycle all over again. Our neighbor reflashed the firmware on our last router, which was v. 1. It only worked for a few days and stopped working. This is SO old. We have changed internet service providers because AT&T did everything they knew to do to fix the issue, including giving us a commercial router. It worked for 3-4 days max. We have Time Warner Cable now. It worked great for 2-3 months, and the issue started again. I am sick and tired of buying routers. Not even the Geek Squad at Best Buy knows what to do. Everyone just scratches their heads and says, "hmmmm. . . I never heard of that before." I am tired of resetting and buying new routers. Any chance someone would know what to do? Thanks.
Message 1 of 16
SecretVN
Aspirant

Re: WNDR 3400 v. 2 Router Connectivity

tammye1978 wrote:
We are on our second WNDR 3400 v. 2 router. We've had several NetGear routers previously. The same thing always happens. The router works great for 2-3 months. Suddenly, it will not connect to wireless devices. The router name is in our list of routers, but when you try to connect, it says it is unable to connect. It does no good to reboot the router. Usually what happens is that we will reset the router back to factory defaults. It works great for 3-4 days. It loses connectivity again. Rebooting doesn't work. We reset the router. It lasts a few hours. After doing this a few times, it won't even reset. So, we buy a new router. It works for 2-3 months, and starts the same thing all over again. We purchased our current router in January. Less than 3 weeks ago, it stopped connecting to the wireless devices (two laptops and an iPad). I rebooted it, but that didn't help of course. I was tired and frustrated and went to bed. The next morning it was working fine. It worked for two days and stopped working again. I rebooted, but of course nothing happened. I left it for two days, and it started working out of the blue. It has worked for two weeks. Last night, it stopped working yet again. I am tempted to reset it, but I feel sure that it will only work for a few days and go down again, and we will start this vicious cycle all over again. Our neighbor reflashed the firmware on our last router, which was v. 1. It only worked for a few days and stopped working. This is SO old. We have changed internet service providers because AT&T did everything they knew to do to fix the issue, including giving us a commercial router. It worked for 3-4 days max. We have Time Warner Cable now. It worked great for 2-3 months, and the issue started again. I am sick and tired of buying routers. Not even the Geek Squad at Best Buy knows what to do. Everyone just scratches their heads and says, "hmmmm. . . I never heard of that before." I am tired of resetting and buying new routers. Any chance someone would know what to do? Thanks.

My brand N600 wireless router had been reseted my once time. May be many time in the furture. If it happen, I never buy Netgear Brand again. :mad:
Message 2 of 16
sabretooth
Apprentice

Download .34 firmware and re flash the firmware in the router. Once done power cycle the router and reconfigure it from scratch. Voice of experience as mine did the same and this is how it was fixed. Have had a drop in 3 months and never a power cycle.
Message 3 of 16
mclasser
Aspirant

After updating to the newest firmware a couple of months back, the router used to drop connection for some of my devices, while others remained connected. I reverted back to .34 a few weeks ago and haven't had any issues since. I guess the new firmware has some kinks they need to work out.
Message 4 of 16
jimbobfrank
Aspirant

I have a 3400 netgear....laptop is in family room 30 feet from router..."sometimes" I have a connection as soon as I log on.....other times it maytake 10 minutes unless I reset router....it is very annoying and this is my 1st laptop wifi experience....I need help on solving my problem.....all I get for troubeshoot messages are "poor access point or cable connection"......any ideas of what I can try?? as stated a "newbie".....also HOW do I start a new post? what am I missing....I don't see any icon for it?????.....where do I download firmware???? thankyou
Message 5 of 16
sabretooth
Apprentice

New post is at the bottom left. V1 or V2 and what firmware?
Message 6 of 16
jimbobfrank
Aspirant

V1 or V2......how do I tell? says n600 wireless dual band wndr3400.....I was referring to .34 firmware in the other posts
Message 7 of 16
sabretooth
Apprentice

Look on the bottom of the router or anywhere on it for a V2. Or access the routers admin pages and you can see the firmware there.
Message 8 of 16
jimbobfrank
Aspirant

V1.............so is 30ft away out of range?? I can connect to router in same room and THEN go 50-60 feet away and still stays connected....BUT so often can't get connected in family room 30ft away???
Message 9 of 16
sabretooth
Apprentice

In the router, try channel 1. Disable UPnP. Disable WMM. Make sure you are using
WPA2-AES encryption. Save settings.

You still need to tell me the FULL firmware version.
Message 10 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

jimbobfrank wrote:
V1.............so is 30ft away out of range?? I can connect to router in same room and THEN go 50-60 feet away and still stays connected....BUT so often can't get connected in family room 30ft away???

you will have to see the speed you get once you use the pc but I seen dramatically drop at 20ft and you may see icon that may say connected but speed are usually 70-80Mbps and I found very slow.

changing channel without know the surrounding is also not good so before you change ANY channel you need to use utility. You will be wasting your time creating channel interferences.

if distance less than 10ft work well and there is no saturated issues then I would suggest before in PM to get extender

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider-wifi-scanner/?utm_expid=190328-0
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 16
bobby323
Aspirant

I bought the WNDR3400 on 04/08/2011 and it too worked fine for about 4 to 5 months and then all of a sudden it started logging me off the internet 3 to 4 times a day. It was and is still under warranty till 19/12/2038 so I called the customer service and got connected to someone in Philippines and had such a bad experience first with the language and then wants $39 for each 30 minutes and would not tell me if he would be able to do the job in either 30 minutes or 2 hrs. to down load a software for the router. Every company in the world provides free software upgrades for their hardware BUT NOT NETGEAR. So had to hang up and look for the software upgrade and finished the upgrade in 10 minutes and now the router is working as it was supposed to.

WHAT A GRETA COMPANY BUT REAL BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. Would have to really think hard before recomending or buying another product from Netgear
Message 12 of 16
Linksys4Life
Aspirant

I will NEVER, EVER purchase another Netgear product in my life.... below is a copy of the comment I left for their customer support 'survey':

I am VERY disappointed in Netgear's backing and support of their product. I bought my router on the fact that it came with a 'LIFE TIME WARRANTY', only to call and find out I must an additional $79.99 to garner support for an obvious internal problem with the product. I was advised that the product only comes with a 90 day warranty for 'support' which has passed by TWO DAYS ! Hmmm, how ironic that the product fails with just 92 days of service. This is very disappointing to say the least and I will certainly be letting all those I know (especially those in the IT world I know oh so well) about Netgear's lack of product quaility, misleading and misrepresentive marketing as well as Netgear's failure to stand behind their products and extortion efforts upon the customer to obtain legitamate support. Written most sincerly by your extremely frustrated and FORMER CUSTOMER, Loran Ayles. P.S. Hello Linksys/Cisco and welcome back!
Message 13 of 16
sabretooth
Apprentice

Call them back and just tell them there are no lights what so ever on the router. You have verified the power supply works via a volt meter and even swapped it out but still it will not power up... no lights. It is totally dead. They would have to replace it now.
Message 14 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

bobby323 wrote:
I bought the WNDR3400 on 04/08/2011 and it too worked fine for about 4 to 5 months and then all of a sudden it started logging me off the internet 3 to 4 times a day. It was and is still under warranty till 19/12/2038 so I called the customer service and got connected to someone in Philippines and had such a bad experience first with the language and then wants $39 for each 30 minutes and would not tell me if he would be able to do the job in either 30 minutes or 2 hrs. to down load a software for the router. Every company in the world provides free software upgrades for their hardware BUT NOT NETGEAR. So had to hang up and look for the software upgrade and finished the upgrade in 10 minutes and now the router is working as it was supposed to.

WHAT A GRETA COMPANY BUT REAL BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. Would have to really think hard before recomending or buying another product from Netgear

use my.netgear.com and request for RMA

also I would request in simple manner and don't copy/past your negativity words in the request. just simply states the issues and request for RMA.

they may responds with some suggestion before approved for RMA . Good technical run down will help the issues.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 15 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Linksys4Life wrote:
I will NEVER, EVER purchase another Netgear product in my life.... below is a copy of the comment I left for their customer support 'survey':

I am VERY disappointed in Netgear's backing and support of their product. I bought my router on the fact that it came with a 'LIFE TIME WARRANTY', only to call and find out I must an additional $79.99 to garner support for an obvious internal problem with the product. I was advised that the product only comes with a 90 day warranty for 'support' which has passed by TWO DAYS ! Hmmm, how ironic that the product fails with just 92 days of service. This is very disappointing to say the least and I will certainly be letting all those I know (especially those in the IT world I know oh so well) about Netgear's lack of product quaility, misleading and misrepresentive marketing as well as Netgear's failure to stand behind their products and extortion efforts upon the customer to obtain legitamate support. Written most sincerly by your extremely frustrated and FORMER CUSTOMER, Loran Ayles. P.S. Hello Linksys/Cisco and welcome back!

you should always use my.netgar.com and put trouble ticket in.

it is better way to start to resolve issues over phone with overseas conversation.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation