Re: WNDR 4000 Excellent!

marksj
Aspirant

truebeliever wrote:
Hi Marks, I've been very happy since I posted this advice with the ASUS RT-N56U Black Diamond wireless router. I agree that the much older firmware has been lacking, but there have been four updates since then and like I said, No problems at all since I baught this. Since then there have been updates to the WNDR3700 and WNDR4000 so I thought I should see if things were better, but things acually seemed worst! Look save yourself some headaches, grief and time you could better spend enjoying the web and buy the RT-N56U. Also download the latest firmware they posted at their web site: Version 1.0.1.4

Also, here is what I do whenever I update my routers. Doing this will also save you from chasing your tail... Enjoy.

1: Remove WAN & other ethernet cables, (except the LAN1 port for installation)
2: Reset to factory settings
3: Apply firmware upgrade/downgrade
4: Wait for router to auto reboot and standard lights to come back on
5: Reset to factory settings
6: Wait for router to auto reboot and standard lights to come back on
7: Power cycle the router manually (attach all cables)
8: restore most recent .cfg file
9: Change preamble to SHORT
10: Power cycle the router manually (attach all cables)
11: Wait for router to auto reboot and standard lights to come back on
12: DONE

Ok cool thx for all the info!One other ? is the rtn 56u IPV 6 capable? Thanks again
Message 126 of 140
truebeliever
Aspirant

Hey partner, sorry about the delay. I checked the manual and looked through the router's configuration screens and found nada (nuthin) about IPV6 so I called them and they told me it presently does not support IPV6 Sorry.
Message 127 of 140
truebeliever
Aspirant

truebeliever wrote:
Hey partner, sorry about the delay. I checked the manual and looked through the router's configuration screens and found nada (nuthin) about IPV6 so I called them and they told me it presently does not support IPV6 Sorry.
I just recieved an email from ASUS Tech Support adding abit more on this. Here is what they said about IPV6... "

Finally got an answer for your question, looks though

[COLOR=black][FONT=MS Shell Dlg 2]IPV6 has not been officially released as a official protocol, Once the IPV6 becomes an official protocol I would imagine that it would be supported but an official answer is available it is not compatible now but maybe in the future it will be" Here is a link you can pass on.

[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=blue][FONT=MS Shell Dlg 2][COLOR=#c98f33]http://www.informationweek.com/news/infrastructure/ipv6/230800027

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=blue][FONT=MS Shell Dlg 2] "

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Message 128 of 140
xBuTcHeRx
Novice

cc999 wrote:
Have been running my new WNDR 4000 now for 2 days heavy use. Here is what I can report.

DHCP Reservation - Perfect - I set up 3 macs - 3 pc's - iphone 4 - blackberry 9700 - HP wireless Printer - 3D Blue Ray Player - 3D Panasonic TV - Satellite Radio

Speed - Lightning fast as expected - 1080 p streams smooth - transfers from computer to computer about 15% faster then the WNDR3700.

Signal - Slightly better then the WBDR3700 - using SSinsider signal strength is about 5-10% stronger on both 5.0 and 2.4 with same computer in exact location

VPN passthrough - Works - no problems with company VPN connection

IPV6 - Working

So far I have to say this is a winner. Its rock solid no disconnects and is fast and steady. I am getting about 10% more speed on speedtestnet on same computer.

I need suggestions on the best USB wireless dongle I can purchase to push the 450 speed?

Charlie C

Did you upgrade to firmware .66 or did u stay on .60?
Message 129 of 140
chascent
Luminary

Now running .66 all works perfectly as listed.

Charlie
Message 130 of 140
xBuTcHeRx
Novice

Where is the DHCP reservation option???
Message 131 of 140
KevTech
Tutor

Should be in LAN Setup.
Message 132 of 140
Arcadeez
Aspirant

Just bought the WNDR4000.
I can say it can be as fast as in heaven!
Or as slow as in xxxx.
In my home, it is extremely fast in 5Ghz mode, which is 27MB to 32MB/s.
In other home, with unknown interference (I think), it could be disconnected or at very slow transmit rate.
Anyway, I am so happy it is working great in my home.
Message 133 of 140
thope
Novice

truebeliever wrote:
about a month ago I picked up the WNDR4000, to replace my WNDR3700 and I was quickly surprised that it was no better and in some cases, much worst, so I returned it. I replaced it with Trendnet 450Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router and it was just that much better than the WNDR4000. No matter how much I tried, I could never see the throughput and performance advertised by Netgear, and alot had to do with the "Friendly Neighbor" policy in the ratified standard, but Trendnet at least gives you the option to turn that off and in my case it was a terrific thing since I live on a mountain with no neighbors for miles. I figure I was paying for this bandwidth and not getting a chance to use it because of shotty equipment.

Well on Friday my brother asked for some advice and I did more research and learned about the ASUS RT-N56U Black Diamond wireless router, so I picked it up at Frys and installed it at my bro's house. HOLY COW MAN that sucker is FAST!! My throughput performance was alittle more than half faster than my new TrendNet and definately 2.5 times faster than my WNDR4000. Some people don't like the way the router is upright, but I think its cool, I really dont care what the thing looks like if it gets this kind of performance. The router is advertised at 300Mbps, but it shows up on my sniffers and InSSIDER as 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz and a whopping 450Mbps on the 5.2Ghz band. I have the new Intel 6300 half hight mini card in my machine and all of the sudden this thing woke to excellent performance. Look, I've been a network manager for 13 years and don't get excited about many things, but this ASUS router is the best router I ever had.

I hope this helps those that just feel Negear routers should be better and you cant understand why! It's not you, its your gear man!.

did everyone read this and have a laugh, i know the n56u is a good router and all but since when did it become three stream? also interference in 5 ghz band enough to kick it into 10 mhz mode? real hard to believe dude.

also, word of advice, it is not a good practice to claim credentials on the internet because you have no way to prove them and the readers have no way to verify, so it just feels a very teeny tiny bit unitellectual.

have a nice day.
Message 134 of 140
velocci
Novice

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying this router. you know how there was that debate about the WNDR3700 and that there were two versions out there? or how they also had the 37AV model and people were debating on which is better? do I have to worry about that with the WNDR 4000? are there multiple version of it? or can I just go in and buy one without worrying which one i'm getting?
Message 135 of 140
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The 4000 with .60 works great, as a former owner of two 3700's I can tell you that in my opinon the 4000 is a working version of what the 3700 should had been but never was. I will also tell that 4000 has two issuses with it's original firmware .60 1) DHCPNACK this causes your Pc to loose connection when renewing it's lease 2) Guest Network disapears after several hours or a reboot 3) the above with the additional random rebooting with .66 The good news is they have ALL been resolved and a updated firmware is due out in Sept. If you do decide to purchase use .60 and you should be fine.
Message 136 of 140
velocci
Novice

but in terms of the actual HW inside the box, there is only one version right?
Message 137 of 140
Retired_Member
Not applicable

As far as I know only 1 version of Hardware. Like windows it seems every other version seems to work. XP good VISTA is junk WIN 7 is good
Message 138 of 140
x509
Tutor

upgrading to a 4500?

mastershake wrote:
well the 3700 and 3800 will be atheros based units. the 3800 is simply going to add features to the 3700 that it didnt have. other than that nothing. the 4000 is a broadcomm chipset and uses different hardware (the same chips used in the newer linksys e4200) as well as it allows use of the newer 3 stream card to achieve a possible 450mb instead of 300 (on the 5g band only though)

(snip)

imo if you have a 3700 already i have tested both and they are slightly different but i dont see any need for spending that much on a 4000 to replace it again imo.

think i covered it all hope that helps

So I want to upgrade from a 3700, could I expect to see significant performance improvement with say the latest and greatest WNDR 4500?
Home LAN includes 2 Win 7 desktops, 2 Win 7 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 "smart" TV. ISP is Comcast.
Message 139 of 140
dos0711
Aspirant

Re: upgrading to a 4500?

x509 wrote:
So I want to upgrade from a 3700, could I expect to see significant performance improvement with say the latest and greatest WNDR 4500?

It depends on what you are trying to doing. You are only as fast as your internet provider...
Message 140 of 140
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E