× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR 4300 loses 2.4GHz Radio daily

DR5150
Aspirant

I actually went to 1.0.1.60 for the firmware.

I had to reset again this morning.

I'll next give the settings you suggest a try.

Message 26 of 37
DR5150
Aspirant

I just tried those settings & all external web access using a 2.4ghz connection fail.

Message 27 of 37
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DR5150 After upgrading the firmware to the latest, did you reset? Right now, I understand that you're on 1.0.1.60, after downgrading to that firmware did you reset?

If you haven't try the following reset instructions below and see if it will help.

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.
2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.
3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

Reconfigure the router and see if it will help.

Let us know what happens.

Message 28 of 37
DR5150
Aspirant

I have upgraded again to the current firmware, performed a reset and set the fragmentation length and RTS/CTS threshold to 2304.

This configuration lasts longer now before a reset is needed, (3-4 days) but still looses the 2.4GHz radio signal.

Message 29 of 37
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DR5150 How many wireless devices are affected on the 2.4Ghz? No problems on 5Ghz?

Kindly send me a copy of your config file which is also the back up file of the router.

Message 30 of 37
Bubbawat
Aspirant

Reset button?  There is no such thing on this router.

Also - I don't understand your suggesting setting threshold values - this thread is about the radio not working at all.  If you take a gander folks cannot extablish connections and in most cases give you enough info to know that the radio is not on, even though the router will tell you it is on.

I have this problem.  Firmware is 1.0.2.80.  The unit had a great performance over 18 months (or more) until this started in the last mont.  It is only with 2.4.  It is not channel interference as more than a few have tested and said so.  It is random - the radio may work for a week, may work for 90 minutes. 5 ghz is just fine and never drops. I am going to open a ticket with Netgear although I hope an answer has cropped up since this thread was last used.

Anything new on this?

Message 31 of 37
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All routers have a reset button to restore its factory settings.

According to the manual of your router, the reset button is located at the bottom of the unit.

The problem is that the 2.4GHz drops the connection which may be due to collisions hence adjusting the threshold was given.

It's just part of troubleshooting just to see if it will help improve the performance of the handshake between the router and the wireless client.

Will you lose IP address when 2.4GHz drops the connection?

Do you still get 2.4GHz light to be lit on the front panel of the router?

What devices are connecting to the 2.4GHz?

What are the brand and model of the wireless adapters?

Message 32 of 37
SFeld
Initiate

I have the same problem as the original poster. The 2.4Ghz wifi goes offline about once a day, but only it seems when I have my TP-LINK wifi extender plugged in. That extender worked just fine for more than a year. My problems started a few weeks ago when I replaced my old blu-ray smart player with a new one. The new one (and the old) both sat in a room in the house that is too far from the Netgear and only gets a signal from the extender. When I first got the extender, I had many problems with stability until I disabled 20/40Mhz coexistence on the Netgear. Once I did that - the system stayed stable for weeks at a time. I replaced the blu-ray player because the old one constantly needed to stop and rebuffer. The new one works perfectly (as long as the 2.4ghz wifi on the netgear stays up). In fact most of the time the 2.4ghz wifi goes out overnight when nothing much is happening. I looked yesterday morning when it was off the air and the 2.4 and 5ghz lights were both still on. I tried changing the fragmentation length and CTS/RTS threshold as suggested, but it didn't appear to help. I'm running 1.0.2.80 firmware. What else can I tell you?

Message 33 of 37
doraemon
Prodigy

It seems that you have pretty much did everything. 

Last resort is to reflash the firmware, reset and reconfigure.

If same problem persists, time to get a new one.

Message 34 of 37
rfuller783
Aspirant

I've been seeing this same issue the past couple weeks, every 2-3 days I have to power cycle to get 2.4 to work again.  Anything on 5.0 or plugged directly in works great.  I have done a factory reset on it as well.

Message 35 of 37
doraemon
Prodigy

You also tried the reflash firmware and reset?

Message 36 of 37
SFeld
Initiate

I reflashed the firmware, set the CTS/RTS Threshold to 2304 on both the Netgear and my TL-WA850RE range extender. Then I limited the range extender using MAC filters to only respond to my blu-ray player and nothing else. All my problems disappeared. The netgear 2.4Ghz system hasn't gone down in weeks. I'm not sure which of the above (or any of the above) made a difference, but the system is stabel again. I suppose I could change one thing at time until it starts to misbehave, but I don't care that much.

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7