WNDR3300 Port Forwarding Problem

raincoat
Novice

WNDR3300 Port Forwarding Problem

Well I just purchased my WNDR3300 and I'm running into trouble with port forwarding. I've port forwarded before on my D-Link WBR-1310 with no problems. My problem is that once I add a custom service to the Port Forwarding list, everything shows up fine and dandy, but the port remains closed when I use ShieldsUP to test it. In fact, ShieldsUP claims that there are no ports open at all (not just the custom ones I defined). I thought it could've been a loopback problem, so I opened the ports for Warcraft 3 and tried to host a game for my friends, but they all timed out when trying to join.
I've scoured the internet for solutions, but to no avail. I've turned off UPnP since I heard that it interferes with manual port forwarding and set up a static IP. I have a cable modem that doesn't function as a router.
What's going on? Port forwarding was simple on my old router.
Message 1 of 12
nobel_nomar
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3300 Port Forwarding Problem

You have to add the custom service, then create a "rule" with it. You did that right? It's a two step process
1-888-NETGEAR - (Phone Support)

"Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being BMW or Mercedes?" -Steve Jobs

Network Cards/Adapters:

GA311, WNDA3100

Routers/APs/Switches:

DGDN3300, FVS114, GS108, WRT54GL (DD-WRT)

Comps:

MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz/3GB/250GB

Hackintosh C2D 2.4 GHz/4GB/700GB

iPhone 3G (16GB Black), Xbox 360, PS3
Message 2 of 12
raincoat
Novice

What do you mean by "make a rule", portforward.com did not mention this.
Message 3 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

raincoat wrote:
What do you mean by "make a rule", portforward.com did not mention this.

it's same thing....same terminology.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

make sure firmware is up to date

http://kbserver.netgear.com/downloads_support.asp
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 12
raincoat
Novice

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "create a rule". All I did was go to "Add a Custom Service" and input the ports I wished to be forwarded and hit apply.
Message 6 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

raincoat wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "create a rule". All I did was go to "Add a Custom Service" and input the ports I wished to be forwarded and hit apply.
rule , custom service in general same way. port forwarding is other way to say as "rule" on many other business class and other manufacture. you will hear this word a lot WNDR is home end but for most who know the networking understand "rule " =" custom service" FOR YOU.. "add a custom service" is more appropriate for newbie was some pro will say "rule"
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 12
nobel_nomar
Aspirant

Sorry for the confusion. Some router models you must add a service, then a separate rule. However, this is not the case with the WNDR3300. All you should need to do is add a custom service. Like June said, make sure you are on the latest FW.
1-888-NETGEAR - (Phone Support)

"Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being BMW or Mercedes?" -Steve Jobs

Network Cards/Adapters:

GA311, WNDA3100

Routers/APs/Switches:

DGDN3300, FVS114, GS108, WRT54GL (DD-WRT)

Comps:

MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz/3GB/250GB

Hackintosh C2D 2.4 GHz/4GB/700GB

iPhone 3G (16GB Black), Xbox 360, PS3
Message 8 of 12
kzgrey
Initiate

I have discussed this issue with NetGear Support multiple times. They have me upgraded to the current beta now.

Port Forwarding simply stops working after minutes or hours until I either reboot the router or until I edit the port forward settings.

So let it be known to the world that WNDR3300 Port Forwarding is broken.

Regurgitating the help instructions is merely a way of dodging the issue.
Message 9 of 12
tallbiker66
Novice

I have to second kzgrey's comment. Netgear released a firmware upgrade for the WNDR3300 router (V1.0.45_1.0.45NA), that was supposed to fix the port forwarding timeout issue. Unfortunately the upgrade failed to deliver, as the port forwarding remains a feature that works sporadically rather than reliable.

The only workout seems to be to refresh the port forwarding table by adding a bogus port entry and delete it once it's working again.

Hope this helps.
:mad:
Message 10 of 12
nklinker
Novice

tallbiker66 wrote:
I have to second kzgrey's comment. Netgear released a firmware upgrade for the WNDR3300 router (V1.0.45_1.0.45NA), that was supposed to fix the port forwarding timeout issue. Unfortunately the upgrade failed to deliver, as the port forwarding remains a feature that works sporadically rather than reliable.

The only workout seems to be to refresh the port forwarding table by adding a bogus port entry and delete it once it's working again.

Hope this helps.
:mad:

Well since I want my port to be open at all times, I will try to set a mouse recorder to add a new one and then delete it after awhile, we'll see how it works =[
Message 11 of 12
aaron_
Aspirant

Yep.

I can confirm that it's indeed broken.

Works for a while.........then stops.

And the only thing that "fixes" it is to edit one of the entries.

As if the huge, blinking blue light wasn't enough of a nuisance......

Totally bummed about this.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E